Why become a member? ×

OLP MM3 Ernie Ball 5 String Review

Jonnyboy Rotten

I bought this second hand and so I am reviewing with this in mind.

First impressions:9/10
High quality 3 piece Ash (I think) body and a lovely maple neck and fretboard which is feels similar to my Squier Precision neck (obviously wider to accommodate the extra string) but feels 'faster'.

Good:
I really love the way this guitar looks. It is a simple, understated and classic design which really appeals to me. I have a soft spot for Maple fretboards! One thing to watch with lower priced 5 string basses is that the low B string can be quite weak and wooly sounding. This is most definitely not an issue with this guitar. In fact when I am playing it even if I try and play it gently it seems to come through a bit loud. I may have to adjust the pickup slightly.

Bad:
The set up seems a bit low action which can translate in to slight buzzing especially on the lower strings but I think this is a set up issue rather than any issue inherent with the guitar itself.

Sound: 8/10
The sound is not like any other bass I have heard (in my limited experience). To me this bass sounds very 'uncoloured', with the sound that is coming from the strings having a raw, woody and 'untampered with' feel. My Squier Precision and Ibanez don't sound as natural somehow. Its hard to explain.

The tone is earthy and warm with a mellow punch (like a good wine! :P )

Summary: 9/10

I have heard the these OLP basses can be hit and miss in terms of quality control and that you should make sure you try before you buy to make sure you get a good one. But as you might have heard, if you do get a good one - it is gonna be great! B)

Given that this bass is my first 5 string and it took me a few minutes to get used to it, I really love it. It just seems to 'fit' with my playing and every time I pick it I love feeling the 'heft' of it and playing around. It is a double bonus for me too that it has actually helped me with playing my Squier and Ibanez. The Squier now feels easier to play - I always found it an effort after playing the Ibanez. And playing the Ibanez feels like 'home'. So all in all this has made both my existing basses better without being rubbish itself and I suppose you can't ask for more than that! :D

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1382460569' post='2252447']
Is there something wrong with the A string saddle? It looks out.

I :heart: OLPs :)
[/quote]

yep sorry! I see what you mean and yes. It was out for the photo. Not sure what happened to make it do it but I flicked it back in and it not happened since. I think it happened during transport to me.

Edited by Jonnyboy Rotten

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1382482515' post='2252837']
yep sorry! I see what you mean and yes. It was out for the photo. Not sure what happened to make it do it but I flicked it back in and it not happened since. I think it happened during transport to me.
[/quote]

I thought it had to be something like that, I didn't think you would have played it like that and not have noticed it when talking about action etc :)

If only the string spacing were a bit wider, I'd have bought one ages ago! Great value, those OLPs, when you get a nice one.
(I have owned four MM2, just keep the one now).