Why become a member? ×

I'm putting on a charity gig with a difference...

JamesBass

So as the title says, I'm putting on a charity gig with a difference.

Myself and my colleagues of my newly formed part-owned promotions company are looking to put a charity gig on in late Q3 early Q4 2013 i.e.; Janurary to April sort of time in a radically different venue somewhere within Portsmouth, I can't specify where due to contracts and negotiations but it's a seriously cool place, if all goes to plan. To boot we are looking to also have comedy and artists taking part too in some way. However as we want/need to have bands/music that is acoustic we are desperately trying to club together a group of acts who will give the greatest pull and ticket sales, it is for charity so the more sales the better we do! The charity is THE TOM PRINCE CANCER TRUST, which is a local charity that those in Portsmouth will know all too much about, those who don't know about it, check them out, such a nice charity, as are most anyway! But we'd like to get a big name to draw the crowd in, so far we've contacted and been turned down by Frank Turners people at Coda Agency and are now looking to our list of alternatives.

But I need some help/pointing to the right people here and wondered if the magical ever surprising thing that is BassChat could lend a hand?! Our list of big names we'd like, as it stands is:

KT Tunstall
The Who(HUGE long shot as we'd need them acoustic and not sure if they'd do that)
Charlie Simpson
City and Colour
Newton Faulkner
Jack Johnson

Obviously as it is for charity we aren't able to pay a fee, we can and are willing to cover expenses as should be expected. However we are finding it difficult to contact the relevant people and keep getting pushed from one fan club to the next and round and round the record labels and booking agencies. If any BassChat member could help I'd be forever grateful. In the name of professionalism and out of respect, any details of email addresses and phone numbers potentially deemed sensitive could you please PM me if you have them?

Many many thanks,

James

I wish you the best of luck in your venture.
I have absolutely no contacts that I could help you with but suggest that you approach the board of the charity to see who they know who may have connections. Do they have a patron? Do they have a press officer?
My only other thought would be to trawl through the web to see which musicians have had or have cancer and see if they would be prepared to help out.
Sounds a bit cras but there you go.

Another one is to see what acts are playing down here at the time you're thinking, if they're already local, they might be swayed a bit. Also depends on the artist. I remember Weller was down her recently doing acoustic stuff.

I'm really curious as what the venue is, but I may have a couple of guess, one sticks out above the rest.

As for filling the bill with smaller local acts, get in touch with either Nick Courtney, Ben Mills or both. They managed and booked Victorious Vintage and may even know someone to do the main slot.

I would've suggested Joe Jackson, as he had a house in Old Portsmouth for a while down by Spice Island, but a quick Internet search informs me he now lives in Berlin. If you need any help, I'll happily oblige matey, I'm only in Farlington.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1382264864' post='2249762']
Another one is to see what acts are playing down here at the time you're thinking, if they're already local, they might be swayed a bit. Also depends on the artist. I remember Weller was down her recently doing acoustic stuff.

I'm really curious as what the venue is, but I may have a couple of guess, one sticks out above the rest.

As for filling the bill with smaller local acts, get in touch with either Nick Courtney, Ben Mills or both. They managed and booked Victorious Vintage and may even know someone to do the main slot.

I would've suggested Joe Jackson, as he had a house in Old Portsmouth for a while down by Spice Island, but a quick Internet search informs me he now lives in Berlin. If you need any help, I'll happily oblige matey, I'm only in Farlington.
[/quote]
Cheers Jim, unfortunately I need to do as much myself as possible, it's part of my degree work but not a direct assignment in itself, it's rather complicated haha!

I believe we've sorted all local acts for now, it's just securing a big name to give us the pull and gravitas to the venue and the punters! Might have to ask Ben, he's a mate of a mate so I'll call in a favour or two!

Cheers fellas, if anyone else can help or suggest that'd be fantastic.

Nick, I've already been down that route with Frank Turner and that was a muddy and frustrating route to take, plus many labels and management agencies seem to prefer to not be contactable. The lack of information on many of these artists and who to contact is staggering! The Who aren't even clear on who to contact and which label they are currently with!