Why become a member? ×

Camps classical guitars? Anyone in the know?

BassTractor

Short read:
Anyone know anything about the Spanish guitar brand Camps?
Reportedly (by web and shop) their guitars are good for the price, and they have solid wood in all parts.

Long read:
Expecting to walk out from the shop with a Yamaha classical guitar like the GC 192C or rather one with a pre-amp like the NCX 700 or the thin NTX 700, I was surprised about how shop personel kept telling how I could save a lot of money and rather buy a Camps.

Camps are a total unknown to me, and I seem to struggle to find any good info on ze webz.

I was quite charmed by a very thin (70 mm) Camps guitar called NAC-1, which had a light tone with clarity and relatively long sustain whilst retaining sonority - fitting to my purposes, which mainly is learning to play the guitar, and eventually sofa playing of classical music and accompanying the occasional song with guitar strumming.
It has a Fishman pre-amp and a cutaway - two capacities I appreciate.
Its regular, thick version is the same price, and though it is a better guitar, I will prefer the thin one for ergonomics and ease of handling.

The alternative, a thin (90 mm IMS) Yamaha NTX 700 surprisingly left me quite underwhelmed, but I must say that seemed due to bad strings first and foremost. The body did have the will to reverberate. I must guess it's too expensive for shops to put new good strings on every guitar, but boy...

The Camps looked technically well-built, but it did have some rough edges (it's an unlacquered guitar, so no lacquer will hide anything) and part of the construction was hidden behind black paint - which is as large an alarm bell as I can find.
The nut was of a weird material that I assume must be some form of artificial bone stuff. Sadly it protruded slightly from the neck, but I'm willing to sand that down, or can live with it as it is.
Neck and action seemed perfect, fretwork, though not super, seemed more than good enough. I tried hurting myself on the frets's ends as a test, but failed.

As said, its sound charmed my socks of, and it was roughly 200 quid cheaper than the NTX.
What the cohabitation?

BTW, it also plays easier than our Yamaha GC 172C, which I bought like 8 or so years ago, and which I think is a perfectly adequate, good guitar. A guitar that plays easier than that one is good in my book.

So for the time being, it seems like a good sounding, well-built but slightly rough instrument. I guess I can live with that.
I guess all I'm after is confirmation from you that Camps guitars are a safe buy, and that I'm not likely to see the bridge come off.. or the lid for that matter.
Anyone know anything about them?

Edited by BassTractor

Just in case someone is interested in these: I bought the Camps thin-body, and can't put it down!
That cost me a sleepless night.

I know that a good full bodied concert guitar is "grander", but I just simply love this light, clear sound and its sonority. It simply has a great sound, and is sooo much better than your typical cheap guitar.
Also, it's the first classical guitar I have played that, to me, feels comfortable even when I'm playing it sitting relaxedly in a comfy sofa.

Win win.