Why become a member? ×

Anyone modded a Glockenklang 2-band onboard pre-amp?

JapanAxe

I have a Sandberg bass factory-fitted with an onboard 2-band pre-amp. I have noticed that the treble control does not give the same amount of cut as on a passive P-bass, regardless of whether the Sandy's controls are set to active or passive. I am guessing this is some sort of compromise to make the control effecrive in both modes.

I am therefore wondering about increasing the cap value on the treble control, although I realise this may screw with its performance in other (unpredictable) ways. If I can identify the right cap, I can just experiment by solder-tacking a succession of different caps in parallel with it, until I get the result I want. However, I would prefer to know what I am doing from the start!

So... Does anyone have a schematic for the Glockenklang 2-band? Anyone tried this or other mods? Any other words of wisdom (other than 'don't do it, you'll break it')?

In short, you can't make one solution fit all where std passive/active circuity is involved. Everything you do is a comprimise. It wouldn't surprise me if the current preamp is already set at that perfect comprimise point.

I'd never buy an active bass wanting a quality passive mode... the two are mutually exclusive. Short of having two sets of wiring looms and controls in there, one for passive, one for active, I think you are a bit stuck.

Aha! But such a thing does exist - my G&L has passive tone controls plus a switchable pre-amp, perhaps not quite what you were thinking of, but still...

Anyway I will be experimenting when I have a couple of hours spare. Would still appreciate a look at the schematic mind!