Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT 2 - nearly sold!

molan

A good friend of mine wants to sell his Ampeg SVT2 with a Boogie flight case and I wondered how much this might be worth?

He was asking for £900 and had this much bid on on EBay a few months back but the buyer backed out and my friend didn't get round to re-listing. I'm afraid I really know nothing about Ampeg gear and he resisted my attempts to suggest it was worth about £250 and I'd take it off his hands :)

Here's what he told me about it:

[i]Bought new in 1991 and hardly used. The Ampeg always sounded awesome. Really powerful and impressive. The flight case is a “Sprung” Mesa Boogie rack mount. The amp is attached to large rubber bushes, like shock absorbers, which absorb any impact if the case is dropped.

A complete service by John Henry after our last tour in 1995 and then sat unused, safe and sound in my music room.

RMS Power Output (4 Ohms): 300-Watts
RMS Power Output (2 Ohms): 300-Watts
Preamp: Tubes (4 x 12AX7, 1 x 12AU7)
Driver Tubes: 1 x 12AX7, 2 x 12AU7
Power Amp: Tubes (6 x 6550)
Tone Controls: 3-Band
Mid Tone Control: 5-Position
Graphic EQ: Yes, 7-Band
Ultra Low/High Boosts: Yes
Balanced Line Out: Yes, Pre/Post (transformer)
Effects Loop: Yes
Preamp Out/Power Amp In: Yes
Slave Out: Yes
Dimensions (W x H x D inches): 19 x 7.5 x 15.75
Weight: 70 Pounds

The amp is pristine condition, both mechanically and cosmetically. No scratches, as it has been kept in the flight case from new.

The flight case is in very good condition, a few scratches on the top but works perfectly.[/i]

I've attached one small pic but I have a couple of others in higher resolution if anyone wants to see more.

Any questions and I'll happily pass them on. Also any advice on his price estimate would be great.

The head is located in Kent and I'd imagine would cost a fair bit to ship as it appears to weigh as much as a small child!

Edited by molan