Why become a member? ×

Bass sound on DaftPunk you tube cover

BanjoChris

Hi,

I'm struggling to get a particular sound from my bass, amp, fingers combination. The sound I'm trying to get is the staccato growly octave sound when this girl is finger picking at 18 or 19 seconds in. When I do it the higher octave note just sounds too clean.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwS4lX0P0-Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwS4lX0P0-Q[/url]

My guitar is a Yamaha 614 with active 3 band eq. Amp is a TC BH 500. I don't know whether to cut the mid, boost the mid, cut the treble? The closest I can get is to cut the treble and add some of the tube tone but too much of that makes the lower notes fuzzy which I don't want. Finger picking back towards the bridge seems to help and I have the pickup balance about 60-40 in favour of the p type neck pu. I've tried changing pu height. All sorts, but still lacking the growl on the top two thinnest strings. I have stadium elite round wounds 105.

Is it a quality of the humbucking pu's she's using?

[quote name='JwK94' timestamp='1381760108' post='2243235']
Octave Pedal
[/quote]

:huh: I love octave pedals but... I doubt it's going to do the trick here.

Pedals are great fun, but the sound here is pretty straight forward. With the BB614 bass, I think I'd try to favour the bridge pickup rather than the neck pickup. The Jazz pickup at the bridge is bound to give you some of that growl, and use the onboard EQ to enhance the low end that you lose by moving to the bridge pickup.
Bear in mind that a P/J style bass does not sound anything like a Stingray, so you will not nail that type of sound.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1381765809' post='2243362']

:huh: I love octave pedals but... I doubt it's going to do the trick here.

Pedals are great fun, but the sound here is pretty straight forward. With the BB614 bass, I think I'd try to favour the bridge pickup rather than the neck pickup. The Jazz pickup at the bridge is bound to give you some of that growl, and use the onboard EQ to enhance the low end that you lose by moving to the bridge pickup.
Bear in mind that a P/J style bass does not sound anything like a Stingray, so you will not nail that type of sound.
[/quote]

Yes. after the other poster said Octave Pedal I went off and listened to a couple on You Tube and I don't think that's it. I hear no octave down on the lower notes and she plays right down to the low e. So I guess this gives me a good excuse to go and play some Stingray basses in a shop for the hell of it :)

Stingrays get their sound from the placement of a humbucker more than anything else don't they? Makes me think those new Modern player Dimension basses from Fender might do the job. without looking yet I'm guessing a Stringray is muchoo money.

Edited by BanjoChris

[quote name='BanjoChris' timestamp='1381766467' post='2243371']
Yes. after the other poster said Octave Pedal I went off and listened to a couple on You Tube and I don't think that's it. I hear no octave down on the lower notes and she plays right down to the low e. So I guess this gives me a good excuse to go and play some Stingray basses in a shop for the hell of it :)

Stingrays get their sound from the placement of a humbucker more than anything else don't they? Makes me think those new Modern player Dimension basses from Fender might do the job. without looking yet I'm guessing a Stringray is muchoo money.
[/quote]

Any excuse to try Stingrays is a good excuse :P

Yes, that particular pickup at that particular position is what makes a Stingray sound that way. The preamp just gives it the ability to modify that basic sound and produce other tones that are also typical Stingray.

The girl in the video plays one of the Sterling by MusicMan (SBMM) Ray34 basses, which have a different preamp and pickup, but it's still instantly recognisable as a "Stingray style bass". They are a lot cheaper than "real" Stingrays... although whenever someone wants a Stingray but does not like the price, I always recommend the SUB bass.
Here it gets confusing, as SBMM have their own line also called SUB. These are a cheaper take on the Ray 34. They can be nice, but I'm talking about the Ernie Ball Music Man (EBMM) SUBs, made between 2003-2006 at the same factory as the Stingrays, in USA.
I don't really care where a bass is made, but these SUBs are real Stingrays in anything but name. Same pickup and preamp. The body wood is different, the hardware is not stamped "MusicMan", the finish is uglier for many... but it's a fantastic bass. I own a Stingray and two of those SUBs, and other than looks there really is nothing the SUB should be shy about. The best part is... you can get them for £350-400 (secondhand only). There is a beautiful black one right now in the "For sale" section of the forum, in fact. I don't know the seller, it has nothing to do with me... I simply noticed it's there. They're amazing basses.

The Fender Dimension has also caught my eye... they do sound very Stingray-esque, from teh videos I watched. The 5 string one natural/maple is very tempting! :)

Edited by mcnach