Why become a member? ×

Refinishing/respraying advice...

Morning everyone.
I know there's a plethora of information out there about refinishing/respraying guitars. Here's my story...

I'm sourcing a body for a project that will need a bit of workl it's presently finished in a vintage sunburst colour and I'm looking to do a little work on the body - filling holes (ie one tone control hole/screws etc) and fixing any major dings. I might move the jack socket. I'll probably use a two-part epoxy for any repairs to said holes and finish it in solid black gloss.

Insofar as finishing goes, I've read many, many accounts suggesting sanding back to bare-wood, priming, painting, buffing OR just simply rubbing down the body with 350+ grit wet and dry to give something paint can key into. From experience with spray [car] paint, it just about sticks to anything without much problem (I sprayed a Gibson G3 with two coats of Datsun Sunny red on a whim one time and that never came off...so sorry if you own that bass now).

I'm after a reasonably decent, long-lasting and nice-looking finish, and I guess it doesn't bother me [i]that [/i]much if the end result isn't showroom finish. To quote someone who posted here, so long as it looks good from a few feet away, I'll be 100% happy.

So what's best?

Cheers
P