Why become a member? ×

Pickups, which type of Realist?

SevenSeas

Hi everyone, as the title suggests I would like to know more about which type of Realist pickup people are using.

I know they have several different models out and I'm sure they vary accordingly, If people could keep this thread to about this particular pickup this would be appreciated.

There are lots of pickups on the market (of course it's all about opinion)

I have been using the K&K bass max pickup (x2) although it works, I wouldn't say I'm overwhelmed with the sound. So i'm looking to try out something else.

David Gage
- Copperhead. (I think this one is the most popular)
- Life line. (Seems to be easier to install than the Copperhead but this is my least of my worries)
- Sound clip
- Naturalist. (similar to the copperhead but made of wood (more compressed sound though)

I have to admit I am leaning towards the Copperhead or the Naturalist, sound is definitely the top priority!

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1381230607' post='2236017']
I've been using what is now called the Copperhead for ages now, and while I don't feel the neeeeed to change, I'm quite tempted to try the Naturalist.
Maybe one under each foot?
It just never goes away, does it?
[/quote]

Interesting, are you not happy with The Realist?

I have been using the K&K for ages, it just sounds too 'electric' for me.

I've used the Realist for years. If you get one of the older models, they have a really loud and clear tone. I'm very tempted by the Soundclip pickup he's making. Its almost identical to the Barcus Berry pickup I first used years ago but seems a lot more robust.
Wasn't sure from your question but are you aware that the Docking station is just an onboard volume control?
I was lucky enough to find David Gages shop while on holiday in New York last month A very open friendly place with good staff....

[quote name='mart3442' timestamp='1381804469' post='2244011']
I've used the Realist for years. If you get one of the older models, they have a really loud and clear tone. I'm very tempted by the Soundclip pickup he's making. Its almost identical to the Barcus Berry pickup I first used years ago but seems a lot more robust.
Wasn't sure from your question but are you aware that the Docking station is just an onboard volume control?
I was lucky enough to find David Gages shop while on holiday in New York last month A very open friendly place with good staff....
[/quote]

Yeah I looked into the Docking station, nice idea but I would only consider using one if I was only going through FOH.

I wish I go to NY, sounds awesome!

In the end I went with the copperhead, the naturalist is a nice idea but I couldn't comprise tone over aesthetics.

I'm liking the Lifeline very much. Dead easy to fit (on an adjustable bridge) and good feedback resistance. Having been a lifelong Underwood user I had to get used to the attack on the front of the note - can come out as too much thump if not eq'd properly - and I'm still blending it with an Underwood for the louder gigs. But for the smaller, quieter stuff it's great.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1381833231' post='2244239']
I'm liking the Lifeline very much. Dead easy to fit (on an adjustable bridge) and good feedback resistance. Having been a lifelong Underwood user I had to get used to the attack on the front of the note - can come out as too much thump if not eq'd properly - and I'm still blending it with an Underwood for the louder gigs. But for the smaller, quieter stuff it's great.
[/quote]

Interesting I did look at the Lifeline, I haven't got an adjustable bridge though. I think I went for the Copperhead as a safe option and I have heard lots of great players using it. Might be an entirely different game when I start gigging with it, I have heard quite a few people mix the sound. So the Realist to your amp and then having another microphone DPA and sending it to front of house.

I haven't even looked into microphones yet... expensive and of course one step at a time.

Edited by SevenSeas

[quote name='SevenSeas' timestamp='1381844335' post='2244437']
Interesting I did look at the Lifeline, I haven't got an adjustable bridge though. I think I went for the Copperhead as a safe option and I have heard lots of great players using it. Might be an entirely different game when I start gigging with it, I have heard quite a few people mix the sound. So the Realist to your amp and then having another microphone DPA and sending it to front of house.

I haven't even looked into microphones yet... expensive and of course one step at a time.
[/quote]

A pickup to backline and a mic to front of house is the desirable option and you can get very good results with a DPA. Trouble is, I find that very few jazz gigs I do have a FoH option, except most festivals and some prestige stuff. Stables at Wavendon was to die for. So I've concentrated on getting optimum plug and play from my backline. I suspect quite a few rockabilly bands carry their own PA and sound and I've just joined a nice jazz/folk outfit with good sound and an ex-Tull engineer but I bet with the jazzers PA is in the minority.