Why become a member? ×

Help! I need a 51 p-bass pickguard (template) with tugbar screwhole.

Bass-Thing

Can anyone help with this? I have a Japanese RI 51 p-bass with a matte black pickguard. Ideally I would just buy a new pickguard in gloss black with the hole there already, but I can't find one of these anywhere. Apparently Fender sell one on their website.... but only to USA customers! The early Japanese RI 51's had a hole in the pickguard so you could add a tugbar but these are quite rare. Thing is I just don't want to drill the hole in the wrong place! It would send my OCD off the scale.

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1381059612' post='2233796']
Just buy one without the hole, and use your existing plate as a template to mark where the tugbar hole is located. It's only a 2 minute job to get it sorted.
[/quote]

Thanks Kevin but the thing is my existing plate doesn't have a hole. I need a pickguard with a hole already drilled, or a template that shows me where to drill one.

Ah, I see. I've got a mid 50s style one, but that has body edge contours so the plate is slightly smaller than the 51 style.

Pity, as I could have traced round the plate, marked all the holes, and sent the tracing to you.

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/kevin_lindsay/20130817_193800.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by kevin_lindsay

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1381064870' post='2233877']
Actually, PM me your address and I'll post you a tracing of my plate. The screw hole will still be in the correct place in relation to the neck pocket.
[/quote]

That is a GORGEOUS bass! I've ordered a new body for mine in Candy Apple Red and it would be rubbish without a tugbar. Thanks so much Kevin. I'll PM you now. :D