Why become a member? ×

hot hand

Corvine

What are people's opinions/experiences with the souce audio hot hand?
I've read a few mixed things about them. Some people say it's not a very reliable piece of kit.
I can't work out if it's as good as it sounds in some of the demos or just a gimmick.
Thoughts?

I had one for a while with a BEF Pro.

What I can say straight off is that there's no way an expression pedal can mimic the sort of stuff you can do with the Hot hand, and it really is like learning a whole new instrument. Depending what pedal you're controlling with it, as Woody says,it can add a whole new dimension to playing and, yes, it is as good as it looks in the demos.
As for reliability. I would say my experience was medium. It was the RF-controlled Hot Hand 3 I used, and it was occasionally a bit glitchy in the communication between the ring and the base unit. I had to re-boot it a couple of times, and I never did understand why I had those issues. I guess it's like any computerised stuff these days, some days it just gets it's knickers in a twist and needs a re-boot.

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1381006625' post='2233431']
I dont see how an expression pedal wouldnt be superior, they do the same thing but without using up one of your hands.
[/quote]

My understanding was that you got 3 axis of movement out of the Hot Hand, allowing you to control 3 effect parameters in real time. The most you can get out of a pedal is 2, and trying to twist and tilt a pedal at the same time isn't too easy!

Ok I've had quite a bit of the source audio gear in the past, MWD Pro, BEF Pro x2, Hot Hand x2, Hothand3, Dual Expression pedal

I had a lot of fun with the hothand and recommend anyone to try one, I found it to be very responsive and unbeatable at plug-in wobbles

I found that I could only really use the hothand / hothand3 for wobbles (with the BEF PRO and a gated Fuzz). The hothand3 works with most 3rd part pedals with an expression out so other filter pedal's etc. I used the Hothand3 with the line 6 m9, and really didnt like using it as the expression. Just didnt feel right / sit right for me. Every one plays differently but I found it really a one trick pony.

I havent checked Talkbass for a while, but theres a source audio thread or two which should prove me wrong and show people using hothand3 with all sorts of pedals with great effect.