Why become a member? ×

I'm on a distortion mission, who want's to help?

Bit-Crusherrr

Right,

for YEARS now, I've been trying to source the effects used by Takeshi Ueda of the Mad Capsule Markets, and I've always been impressed by the effects he uses, ESPECIALLY the pitch he manages to get in the shift he does in the track Tribe, it's a near-perfect pitch shift without managing to sound like a crappy octaver pedal, unfortunately, as much as I've looked and tried hardware, I've never found out how he did it or what could be used to get the same effect.

I've been planning some of my own stuff in their similar vein but with a bit more leaning to the use of electronics and a more aggressive form of music, but primarily focusing around the bass being the key instrument.

My idea was to have my bass signal split, one clean, the other taking any effects and distortion so I have still my smooth bass underlying any distorted parts, obviously both will be playing the same notes etc.

The tone I'd like for it is a mix between Ueda and that of Dick Lovgren from Meshuggah, compromising distortion, an expression pedal for pitch shifting w/pitchshifter, reverb, delay etc.

Has ANYONE any ideas to send me in the right direction?

Thanks

Edited by Bit-Crusherrr

takeshi uses the digitech whammy II, same chip as in the old whammy wh1.

for his distortion sounds - you need a p bass with newish strings and preferably a pearce bc1 pre amp, this is what takeshi has used for pretty much every mcm record, i used to copy the PARK album tone with this setup as it's my favourite.

if you want any more help with takeshi's stuff add me on msn, ive gone over all his stuff in mega detail.

ant.