Why become a member? ×

Warwick Thumb BO4

grayn

The Thumb Bolt-on-4 is known for it's dark, well defined tone and lovely, low-mid-growl. The organic and ergonomic body shape and neck are made from a beautifully, dark grained Ovangkol, with an even darker, Wenge fingerboard, which is made even more beautiful by the lack of markers, between it's 24, medium, bell-brass frets.
The 2, active, MEC, J-style pickups, in combination with the bass's woods, create some inspiring tones, that sparkle with dark harmonics. The tone is clear yet very earthy. You could say, the Warwick's looks and tone truly reflect each other. The active electronics are controlled by rotary knobs, for volume, panning, treble and bass. No middle control, it's true but with this bass's gorgeous, natural mid-tones, why would you want to mess with them?

I'm not really a fan of black hardware on a bass but Warwick's black, 2-piece bridge, security locks, tuners and (ad)Just-a-Nut 3, are not only extremely functional but blend with the bass's dark, good looks, quite well.
As you may expect from a German made bass, the BO4 is very well designed and crafted. The neck has a deep(ish) profile and is incredibly comfortable to play. The profile and immaculate fretboard just make you want to play in an accurate and precise manner. Yet also encourages sonic exploration and self expression.

This particular bass was made in 2008 and remains in immaculate condition. When I bought it, I also tried out an English made, Overwater Inspiration Std. Deluxe 4. Both basses are small bodied, with high quality construction and parts. The Overwater's tone was crystal clear and even, with great harmonic range. But it was the earthier tone and organic looks of the Warwick that sold it to me.

This bass comes with a user kit, that comes in what can only be described as a very professional folder, made of rucksack type material. It looks like something you might get with a high end car. With pockets for the beeswax, needed in the early years of the bass's life, strings, an impressive trussrod tool, a cleaning cloth and the sizeable manual and certificate. Never seen this before, even with more expensive instruments.

Overall then, this is a high quality instrument. The small body in no way hinders tone but does make the neck seem to stick out further, than on larger bodied basses. You soon adapt and it becomes as natural as any other bass. I didn't used to like to look of Warwicks but now I'm really appreciating the look, feel and sound of this most musical of basses.

• 2 weeks later...