Why become a member? ×

German double bass c1880, fully restored *SOLD*
£5000

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]A typical German[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] Mittenwald shop bass from c1880. 7/8 size with a 105cm stop. It started life as a blockless but has since had a really nice blocked neck made by Mike Hart and retains the original scroll. It's a great chamber music and jazz bass, projects well and is very consistent string to string. I've owned it for about 4 years and it has seen regular professional use during that time. The bass has been with Laurence Dixon for the past few months undergoing a full restoration so will be in tip top condition when I get it back this week. Detailed pics will be up soon.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'm based in Catford, SE London for viewing and the bass is priced at £4000. No trades unless you have a good modern bass of similar playing qualities. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

[attachment=142373:IMGP2938.JPG]

Edited by chrkelly

Cheers Geoff, hope all's well with you.

Just got this back & Laurence has done a great job with it. It's had the front & back off, with every single crack patched up from the inside, a new brace on the back (one of the originals had split) & the neck join has been redone and strengthened. It's now in great structural condition & should be good for years to come.

It sounds good too if a bit tight at the mo. There's a lot of new wood in there, I'll be blasting it as loud as I can for the coming weeks & the sound will open up again in no time. It's currently strung with Spiros but I might stick on a set of Evahs. That's definitely the string for that bass.