Why become a member? ×

Right to Left handed

timmo

I have been trying to learn to play the bass for a while now. I just don`t think I will make it as I have arthiritis in my left pinky, and it is fairly crooked. I know I won`t be able to stretch it enough to cover 4 frets. Anyway, I was thinking perhaps I should try left handed as my right hand isn`t too bad and will stretch a lot better. Has anyone tried to switch from right to left, and if so, was it like learning to play all over again?

It is an interesting question. You dont have to stretch too far to cover four frets. You can use your thumb as a pivot, and swing the whole hand to where the finges are required. I suffer from "Dupuytren's contracture" in my left pinkie. This is where the finger(s) is pulled towards the palm of the hand. If I hold out my hand, palm facing upwards, my pinkie is at about a 90 degree angle to the palm and wont straighten out. It is probably not as bad as your problem, as there is no pain. Though it slightly impedes my playing, I get by OK.

Personally, I would find it very hard to switch and become a "leftie." However, people differ in this regard. Some may find the switch easier than others.

In case you are unsure about the pivot, check out this clip (about 06.36 into it).

Best of luck, and hope you find a way to continue playing. :) .

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeRoQuXlj9w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeRoQuXlj9w[/url]