Why become a member? ×

Practice routine

matejj53

I am always looking for better way to practice any advice?

I usually go trough :

Scales

Reading

Time

Improvisation

Technique

Learning New Material

Revising old material

Theory, listening, ...

Have you got any tips?

I want to develop my reading to very good standard. I thought this could be good topic to write about and I believe that there is so many possibilities...

Edited by matejj53

[quote name='lobematt' timestamp='1376468406' post='2174203']
I'd say your pretty much on the money! I would definitely add transcription into your routine though. I found writing down music has helped my reading/understanding of notation so could be two birds with one stone =)
[/quote]

What's the best way to do that lobematt? I haven't tried it yet but I am trying to pick out the bass lines in music and trying to think if it's a 3/5/7 etc and whether the note has gone up or down. Ta :-)

It's helpful to have some kind of slow down program although not essential. I'm currently using riffstation which has a low/high filter on it as well as slow down, metronome, chord finder and key changer. I'd suggest transcribing other instruments than just bass as well to get your fingers moving in unusual patterns. I think the main thing is to only transcribe music that YOU like to help build your own voice.

Once you've gotten the music down looking at comparing chord tones to the chords is a great place to start and if you get stuck just ask on these forums, that's how I got going!

[quote name='lobematt' timestamp='1376468406' post='2174203']
I'd say your pretty much on the money! I would definitely add transcription into your routine though. I found writing down music has helped my reading/understanding of notation so could be two birds with one stone =)
[/quote]
If you don't like reading and playing handwritten scores, then Musescore is a good software for writing scores out. It also plays them back for you, so you can check if it sounds right.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1376636270' post='2177037']
If you don't like reading and playing handwritten scores, then Musescore is a good software for writing scores out. It also plays them back for you, so you can check if it sounds right.
[/quote]

That's what I use to make mine look presentable but I find I learn how to write notation better by hand writing it and then using the computer to check it =)

Thanks Dudes,

Actually I'm learning new stuff too, Donna lee etc and many others
I have to come back to transcribing tho

And of corse I do practice Arpeggios too.. very important

My plan is to maybe goo and work on cruise ship[ does anyone have scores like on cruises?

Matt