Why become a member? ×

Tech-21 VT Bass 1U Rack!

discreet

[color="#000000"]I posted a little complaint on the Tech21 Facebook page about the lack of data on their website about this unit; just don’t get how they can go through the whole rigmarole of designing, producing and shipping a unit like this and just sticking up a static image of the front panel. It's a great pity they can't do a dedicated video for each product rtaher than ahving to trawl You Tube for snippets of data.[/color]

I think I'd my VTBD more useful than this. I used to play with just a VTB pedal, and I always wanted more settings, or at least more gain in places. Surely running one of those straight into the PA or into a power amp is way more verstile.

Never got Rack stuff me, But VT anything is just killer.

Edited by AsterL

• 2 weeks later...

I have the only VT Rack that GAK is getting in reserved, deposit paid.

I've finally managed to find a 2nd hand Ampeg SVT-IIP preamp so I'm not going to be needing the VT Rack any more.

I'm going to email my contact to cancel and get my deposit back.

If anyone else here wants to replace me and have this when it arrives, PM me and I'll make sure my GAK contact gets in touch with you to reserve it!

Cheers

Chris

[quote name='Walker' timestamp='1381483350' post='2239617']
I have the only VT Rack that GAK is getting in reserved, deposit paid.
[/quote]

Hmmm. GAK told me about two weeks ago they're getting two VT Bass Racks and I put down a deposit there and then. Maybe it's just a sales pitch line.
P

Ah, I've been suckered!

I was assured that it would be the only one in the UK and it would be ages until they got more in, so I had better put a £30 deposit down!

Oh well, I don't feel so bad about cancelling now. I've got the new DI version anyway, that arrived from the US a week or two ago, so that'll be my backup when my 'vintage' Ampeg pre' fails ;)

I'm bored. I've given up waiting and bought a VT Bass pedal on here for £80. The tired old marketing ploy of making people wait for stuff has massively backfired. And [size=4]I think Tech-21 are taking the p[/size][size=2]l[/size][size=4]ss by charging twice as much for the rack over the pedal (for the privilege of rack-mount) when it's essentially the same innards as the pedal and the same (albeit amazing) sounds.[/size]

I've fixed the thing to the top of my rack with Velcro. I've decided to put up with the slight inconvenience of not having everything racked up and save myself around £239 in the process.[size=4] So there. [/size] :on_the_quiet:[size=4]Thhp! Thhp! Thhhhpppp!! :D[/size]

Edited by discreet

• 2 weeks later...

Never been into rack stuff myself, but i picked up the VT Bass Deluxe last week and gigged it this sat, never having used a VT Bass before. Sounds great, & does a really good job of emulating my SVT while being able to add some grind/OD! Can't believe I hadn't tried one before, blows the BDDI away! Loving the 6 saveable presets too, this is definitely a keeper.

The VT Bass is a different monster to the BDDI, I like both, but at the moment the BDDI [i]slightly [/i]edges it. Peas and carrots. I can get a similar clank out of the VT Bass, but with the BDDI it's just easier.

I was going to move the BDDI on, but I will be keeping it for a bit of variety. I might actually buy an RBI at some stage and just swap them over once in while.
P

• 2 weeks later...

OK...I'm a week or two in.

Yeah, I'd say I'm pretty happy with it, BUT not 100% sold on it yet. It's got a great variety of tones from clean honk through warm fuzz to super dirt; I've had a couple of jams with it and am doing a small gig on Thursday. I played with a super loud drummer on Sunday and (much as I love the BDDI), I felt this was the first time in a long while that I'd actually owned my frequency...I could hear everything with remarkable clarity/wump and it requires very little fettling to get your desired tone. Tonally I've kept the bass and treble controls flattish, but dailling up the mids is pretty outstanding. Whilst the BDDI was the mainstay of my sound for a few years, I won't be getting shot of it until such a time as I land an RBI. (FYI I'm running a variety of Thunderbirds and I run the unit into the effects return on an Ashdown ABM EVO III).

How different is the VT to a BDDI/RBI? I guess (for me) the BDDI delivered a great Geddy Lee/Chris Squire style tone out of the box. The VT Bass is more Stone Temple Pilots/Pearl Jam...phat, warm, fuzzy, controlled. It's all subjective I suppose. I like both!

Paul