Why become a member? ×

Darkglass B7k or AMT BC-1 Bass Crunch

flameboy87

Hey all, I'm trying to decide which of these to get and hope some of your opinion will help me. If you have had any experience with these pedals then I'd love to hear it, especially about the AMT BC-1 since I guess its the lesser well known pedal.

Anyway, the type of sound I want is a harsh but chunky growl. Both seem to be able to do it well from the reviews I have watched but I'm not sure as to which does it best. Also, any other factors I should take in when choosing between the two?

Cheers,
Colin.

I own a BC-1 and a B3k. Both of them have their own sound baked in for sure.

I find the BC-1 to have big lows and be a bit sharper up top, useful if you want that harshness. The clean channel is always on, so you'll always have the voicing of this pedal in your tone, and the drive is quite growly too. I wasn't a big fan at first but it does really growl through in the mix. Theres adjustable mid frequency selections too to change the flavour a little bit to what you want, though the boost footswitch just sounds horrible and buzzy.

I actually find the drive on the b3k to be a bit smooth and scooped, though this can probably be helped with the EQ on the b7k. This pedal is not transparent in the slightest, even with the blend up, so it depends if you like that inherent voicing or not. I really like the sound of the drive at low gain as it becomes a bit lifeless and fuzzy when you crank it more, but ive always had problems with trying to get unity gain with any setting on this pedal.

It's hard to say which one would be best for what you want. The BC-1 is more transparent with better mids and growl, the B7k probably sounds chunkier in the mix with a more natural low drive.

The B7K works out really well for me. It is always on with just a touch of dist going for those fat mid tones with enough oomph in the low end if I want it. But to get through the base drum and the guitar/keyboard the mids is where it is, for me. Scooped it certainly isn't if you don't want it and personally I really like the voice.

Edited by bjelkeman