Why become a member? ×

SOLD - 1978 Fender Precision Fretless - Superb condition - £950
£1100

Delius

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Well, I didn't expect to be selling this guitar any time soon but I've just accidentally purchased a brand new G&L on eBay so need to [s]get rid of it pronto before the wife notices an extra case[/s] make room for it.[/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][s]£1100 [/s][b]Now £950[/b] - I need to shift this (and won't be reducing the price further).

I've had the bass for around 10 years and it's in lovely condition. As you'll see from the photos, this is not 100% "original" - it has a custom scratchplate fitted and has had the knobs changed.

I don't know anything much about Fender finishes but I am told this is called "Mocha". Both the body and neck are incredibly clean for an instrument of this age.

Anyway, the important stuff... this is a very nice-playing guitar as far as I'm concerned, the bass I always use for gigs, with a beefy sound and good intonation. Have had lots of comments over the years about how deep and mighty the instrument sounds, and it certainly has a rounder sound than my mid-90s '62 reissue.

One issue I noticed while taking these pictures - the nut needs replacing (you can just about see in one pic that it's broken off above the E string).[/size][/font]

[attachment=141122:Bass04.jpg] [attachment=141124:Bass06.jpg]
[attachment=141121:Bass03.jpg] [attachment=141123:Bass05.jpg]
[attachment=141119:Bass01.jpg] [attachment=141120:Bass02.jpg]

Plenty more photos available.

Edited by Delius

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for delay, work has been a tad on the hectic side to put it mildly.
Have now managed to weigh the bass and it's 3700g, or 8lb 3oz in real money.
I guess that's towards the lighter end of the scale, though I've no real idea why they vary so much even from the same era.

• 5 months later...

Bump.
Apologies to anyone who contacted me about this prior to Christmas. Life has been very busy.
However, I now have both a new house and a new baby on the way, so need to shift this in the next few weeks if at all possible!
Any questions please let me know.
Dan

Someone did suggest a couple of finishes that look similar to this one... unfortunately I seem to have lost the message!
If I took it apart would it be obvious whether it's the original finish?

[quote name='Delius' timestamp='1394192525' post='2388926']
Someone did suggest a couple of finishes that look similar to this one... unfortunately I seem to have lost the message!
If I took it apart would it be obvious whether it's the original finish?
[/quote]

Kind of depends whether the person doing the refin bothered to strip and refin the cavities. If you see a different colour there, it is definitely a refin. if you see the same finish, it [i]might[/i] be a refin, just a more thorough job.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that might be a walnut finish, which was available in the 70s. Type 'precision walnut' into Google Images and you'll see what I mean.

Also I cooked this up on the online P-bass builder using walnut for the body colour and a bit of brown staining:

Edited by JapanAxe

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...