Why become a member? ×

Iron Ether Subterrenea

Kev

Okay, so up for review today is the Iron Ether Subterranea. Details can be found here:

[url="http://ironether.com/pedals/subterranea/"]http://ironether.com...ls/subterranea/[/url]

I was pretty excited about this pedal and it doesn't disappoint. It produces several different voices; a 'clean' octave below the signal, a synth voice one octave below and a synth voice at the same pitch as the input. The octave has a separate filter knob that gives a dubby octave sound to a synthy octave ala OC-2. The synth voices each have a 3 way switch to switch between saw, narrow pulse and square waves. A standard Iron Ether clean volume pot is also present if you want to keep some clean signal in. 9V pedal, no batteries for these as Taylor puts too much in these little boxes to allow room for a 9v! Current draw will be very low, so no need to worry about your power supply.

[b]Sound Quality: 8.5[/b]

The Octave: Great octave effect, tracking far superior to my last octave pedal (OC-2), however have not tried offerings from MXR or Aguilar for comparison. Real nice octave with lots of tonal options thanks to the filter knob. However, there is one rather unfortunate flaw; even with the synth voices turned all the way down, there is a little tone bleed, so you can still hear a faint oscillator sound at all times, no matter what the setting. If you are using this with a fuzz or filter pedal then this probably won't be a problem, however it will be if you just want a clean dubby octave. Tracks to A without problem, but it goes lower as well providing you don't want a long sustained note. Being analog, it is mono, not poly, like all voices on this pedal, however you don't get horrible glitch sounds if you do by accident.

The Synth Voices: these are fantastic. The tracking is just so much better than I hoped for (I play 18v active Roscoe so was concerned!). The narrow pulse position is my favourite for both, very tight and fat synth voice. The variation with the wave form switches is very welcome. The Octo Synth tracks below A and sounds great, responds equally well to light and heavy attack. The Uni Synth tracks every note on my 5 string, including the open B, flawlessly. Some people over on Talkbass have complained that there is a slight warble when attacking the string before the note rings out. I don't actually have an issue with this, and i imagine it varies alot from bass to bass as it was nothing i felt worth commenting about. My favourite way of using this is having all 3 voices on at the same time, with a [i]very[/i] small amount of clean signal coming through. When playing in the first position on the B and E string, things do not get too glitchy and muddy at all, despite the octave not tracking perfectly. Same goes for playing more than one note at once, sure it doesnt track but no harsh glitch sounds or anything like that.

This pedal completely comes into its own when using other pedals with it. I'm a bit of an Iron Ether fan and combining this with the Xerograph Deluxe low pass filter you get some incredible fat synth swells, it's really great. Add the Polytope and your bass is transformed into a keytar ;)

Score of 8.5 given due to the audio bleed when the voices are off.

[b]Reliability / Durability: 9[/b]

Hand built in the US, solid design with a relay footswitch that is just indestructible. Being relay, it remains true bypass, however if the power cuts the signal still runs through uninterrupted, simple but very useful. Taylor's designs aren't aesthetically perfect, all the pedals I have bought from him have had the occasional slightly out of line knob or slightly off base plate, and this is no exception. However, it ain't gunna break on ya :)

[b]Ease Of Use: 9[/b]

It may seem intimidating at first glance, however this is incredibly simple for an Iron Ether pedal. Effectively 4 volume knobs, 1 tone knob and 2 tone switches, real simple. Suppose it takes a little fiddling to dial them in right to avoid muddiness and there is a lot of gain on tap, so will hold back the 10!

[b]Reviewer Background:[/b] Been playing bass for 7 years, mainly as a hobby and for home recordings. Have owned an uncountable number of effects over the years, both boutique and mass produced and have always been on the never ending search for a good synth bass sound. This pedal has not been gigged so could not comment in that respect. Comments based on playing a Roscoe Signature V through an Aguilar AG500sc and DB112NT.

[b]Purchased From:[/b] Direct from Iron Ether in the US, do not believe they have any dealers at all now, and certainly not in the UK.

[b]Price: [/b]$225, expect to pay another $30 for shipping and another £30-£40 at customs.

[b]Additional Comments:[/b] I have spent a few days with it and I like it, a lot. Sure, it isn't going to be the pedal that kicks the OC-2 off your board if you like to use octave effects alone, however that was not what this pedal was designed for. Alone, it is a good pedal with some sweet and dirty synth tones available, however I highly recommend this pedal be used with a low pass or envelope filter. iron Ether pedals work fantastically well together, and this pairs the Xerograph Deluxe perfectly. I imagine the Oxide could well work with it nicely too. Not a bad price, but it can get a little expensive with shipping and customs. I would recommend.

[b]Overall Rating: 9[/b]

I will have a go at sound samples, I will take requests as to what you want to hear, as if I do one without guidance it will be a few hours long ;)

Edited by Kev

Okay, sound sample(!)

Recorded B7K Di Out (pedal bypassed) into Sonama iOS interface into Jamup (GK Amp) into Loopy via Audiobus. Synth voices in narrow pulse position.

Sounds in this order:

All voices equally mixed, Subterranea
All voices equally mixed, Subterranea > Xerograph Dlx
All voices equally mixed, Subterranea > Xerograph Dlx > Polytope
UniSynth Solo'd, Subterranea
UniSynth Solo'd, Subterranea > Xerograph Dlx
UniSynth Solo'd, Subterranea > Xerograph Dlx > Polytope
OctoSynth Solo'd, Subterranea
OctoSynth Solo'd, Subterranea > Xerograph Dlx
OctoSynth Solo'd, Subterranea > Xerograph Dlx > Polytope
UniSynth Solo'd, Subterranea
Octave Solo'd (Filter at 9oclock), Subterranea
Octave Solo'd (Filter 3oclock), Subterranea

https://soundcloud.com/thumbbassgk/iron-ether-synth

Edited by Kev

Much playing later: still loving the pedal, really great sounds but for me works best with a low pass filter. However, the noise issue is very much there and will effect recording, although I still think its fine for live use. Taylor is working on a fix; in honesty I would probably hold ordering one until its fixed. I can't imagine they are still shipping them but just in case :)