Why become a member? ×

Stingray problem

B.Flat

Hi, I am in need of advice. I have a bass with standard 2 band MM eq board. I am trying to mod the bass to have the Stingray pickup/ 2 band set up + a standard passive P.bass set-up. As I want to use the original three knob control plate I am using stacked pots for the Stingray tone and the P.bass vol/tone. I need to add that both circuits are totally independant and isolated.
I have wired up the plate with a Danelectro 1meg/100k pot for the Stingray tones and a CTS 250k log pot for the volume..
I have made up a 2 band eq board from the BAJAMAN circuit, observing all the correct values.
The problem is this. The bass had a 2004 EBMM 2eq board and separate pots before and sounded A1+.
Now, with the same pickup the bass control is "boomy" and seems to achieve full effect abruptly and in less than a quarter turn of the pot. The trebble pot is slightly better but in the last small segment of travel jumps abruptly from increasing trebble to Stingray "sizzle", though through its entire travel does not have the "clean" sounding trebble of the EBMM circuit.
In short, the tone controls, not being smooth, leave a lot to be desired from the original EBMM setup.
So...............is it the Danelectro pot, or the BAJAMAN board ? Any ideas how I could rectify this?
I do not want to put the EB board back in this bass if I can avoid it.
One final thought. I know that the original bass pot was a "reverse" pot. Can I wire this pot in reverse by changing over the wiper/track terminals or wiring track wire to the opposite track terminal?

I would be grateful for any advice, help or comments.

Brian Flat