Why become a member? ×

Yamaha SLB200 EUB Spike won't tighten

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem. I can no longer tighten the screw which holds the EUB's spike in place, maybe the screw thread has worn down?

I'm not sure how possible a repair is as I assume it'd need to be a very specific size of thread needed.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Michael.

First thing I'd do is remove the screw and see if the thread on the screw itself is stripped or if it's the threads inside the hole. If the screw is buggered it's probably easier to replace that than having to tap a new thread in the hole.

Common fault on those basses

I think its a 6m thread

Dont bother with Yamaha replacement, very expensive

Try a drum store or hardware shop

Buy a 5/8" hose clamp and fit that to your end pin at your preferred height, then don't overtighten your new screw.

A rubber O ring or grommet between the hose clamp and bass should dampen any squeaks etc

The hose clamp will get you by until you find a new screw as long as you dont move the bass around too much, or the pin will just drop out, unless you wedge a bit of paper around the end pin where it fits into the body.

Edited by Mr Bassman