Why become a member? ×

Amp for busking connected to battery

DazBoot88

Hey guys,

I'm gonna be busking with a guitarist and drummer soon and had plans to borrow a friends Markbass head and little speaker. After researching more thoroughly it dawned on me that the watts from the head may be too powerful for the battery i'm getting. If anyone has experience doing this and could recommend a relatively cheap alternative i would be grateful?

Cheers

[quote name='DazBoot88' timestamp='1374071979' post='2144981']
Hey guys,

I'm gonna be busking with a guitarist and drummer soon and had plans to borrow a friends Markbass head and little speaker. After researching more thoroughly it dawned on me that the watts from the head may be too powerful for the battery i'm getting. If anyone has experience doing this and could recommend a relatively cheap alternative i would be grateful?

Cheers
[/quote]

Get the drummer a pair of light sticks or a cajon at the same time. Busking at volume is a quick way of being moved on before you earn any money.

Steve

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1374077930' post='2145066']
Get the drummer a pair of light sticks or a cajon at the same time. Busking at volume is a quick way of being moved on before you earn any money.

Steve
[/quote]

Indeed!

OP: find out what the regulations are at the place you intend to play. Many places state a "no amplification" rule. In practice, small battery operated amps are ok, if you keep volume levels down.

I just bought this thing for playing on the street with my band:

It's a QTX QR10PA. It works well and not expensive. There are bigger versions of this, but I am not pushing this one hard at all and it makes more than enough noise.
We had the police stopping by two evenings ago, smiled and moved on... so I guess we were not too loud. Only the bass was amplified. I suspect if we had a drumkit and a Markbass amp they may have asked us to turn down or leave... It depends on location, I suppose.