Why become a member? ×

Squier Vintage Modified Jazz

spongebob

Being in the sudden market for a backup bass, been looking at the VM Jazz's today.

Had a CV bass sometime back, so aware of the quality, etc. Actually (briefly) had a VM P.

Prices of the VM sunburst are about £60 cheaper than the 'natural' 70s VM. On paper, they look like pretty much the same bass, aesthetics aside. Am I right?

Though a VM would be a good backup/practice bass to the MIA (when I get it back from Fender). I also though it'd be a good bass to play with - I'm getting less scared about the technical stuff, so a VM would be less scary to truss rod-fiddle than my MIA?

Tis only the wood thats different...the natural is maple....i had one heavier than a black hole....2nd one far lighter....the 3ts are basswood i think....my favorite is the vmj fsr....basswood 3ts with natural neck...meaning maple...

trussrod adjustment easy on all...head end.

Ordered one today, should be here tomorrow.

I need a no.2, and at the mo, this will hopefully do the job, as it'll be for practice and the odd emergency (or dive!). MIA will still be the main player when it comes back.

Going to try my hand at basic tech stuff too (will no doubt need a good tweak on arrival), so a good place to start. Also, interested in any upgrades others have done to theirs?

I had the FSR version of the VM sunburst Jazz (it had the black block/bound neck) and outside a new set of strings and a quick tweak of the truss, I felt no need to modify it in any way. I've a lot of time for the VM series - haven't played a bad one, including the VM Amber P-bass I bought from you a couple of years ago.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1373991484' post='2143961']
Also, interested in any upgrades others have done to theirs?
[/quote]

A cheap, easy and completely reversible mod for any Jazz is a series / parallel switch. Opinions vary as to just how useful the series setting is (probably depends a great deal on pickups) but if you're looking to have a tinker, I'd say that's a good place to start.

Bass arrived - and returned. One of the unlucky ones.

Weight-wise, it was about the same as a Land Rover towing a trailer full of overweight Elephants....... :([size=4] [/size]

[size=4] [/size][size=4]Managed to find a used US P instead! :)[/size]