Why become a member? ×

Roland GR-20 synth

edstraker123

Hi has anyone tried one of these on bass ? The You tube video of the guy playing take 5 using the sax voice on a strat sounds awesome
(if that's what you're into) but you can also get a bass pickup for it. I've just parted with an EXH Microsynth as it really didn't have a diverse enough palette of sounds and was hoping this would be a better replacement.

I bought one of these to use with Bass and Guitar and the sounds you can get out of it are amazing. For bass however, the latency on the E string is dire though, and I perish to think what it must be like on a 5 string or more. I have setup the pickup on the bass exactly as specified so I don't believe this is the problem.There is a word of warning in the manual (bit late after you have bought it) that the low frequencies take longer to analyze and this can cause a slower response. It is absolutely amazing on guitar and doesn't suffer from the same problems.
If I was only using it for bass I think I would have been quite disapointed as the pedal itself is also quite plasticky - especially at the price
£299 for the effects unit and £89 for the additional bass pickup. Think carefully about this one fellow basschatters !

Interesting. I have recently fitted a V-bass to my #1 fretted bass and absolutely love it. There is no latency at all (it is not MIDI so that is probably why, is the GR20?) and it means I can get fantastic jazz, mm, pbass and so on sounds from my main bass plus all sorts of synths.

Whilst I was researching the unit I came across a member here named Elros who I am pretty sure had a GR20 alongside his Vbass and decided to get rid of the GR20 because it really wasn't suited to bass.

Now you have the pickup installed why not go the whole hog and pick up a Vbass instead? I promise you won't be disappointed!!

Cheers
ped