Why become a member? ×

Best setup for a Ashdown Mag-200

Obsidiandesire

Ok, so I recently got this Ashdown Mag-200, but I have to be ashamed to say I don't know half of the options on it! so i've come here for help, for those not in the know, it's this model (Note: This isn't MINE, just found it on google)

I like to play slap, my band usually does stuff along the lines of muse, but with funkier basslines, think Level 42, but i'm not as good as the King :)

I'll be getting it back from the clutches of the stockroom at school (due to a recent move, i had no space to put it :huh: ), and so i was wonering the best setup.

also, Is it possible to run it through more than just the speaker in it? I believe it doesn't give the amp justice.

Umm, this seems like a really short post, so if you need any more info, just tell me, and I'll edit this post :huh:

EDIT: Mine only seems to have 1 speaker in, however, not the two that are in this one

Edited by Obsidiandesire

You should be able to run another cab with that. I think best option for you would be a MAG210 cab, essentially what you have already without the head in it. What bass do you have ? For slap on that i'd boost the high mids and treble to about 2/3rds and change the bass to suit, leaving the rest flat. The bass and treble boost will probably bring a lot of sound out too, i'd turn them on.

I have a stonewood bass, It's not even a copy of anything :/
It's not active though, and it'll soon have a pair of medium gauge Rotosound strings on it, they're humbug style pickups, and it's 24 fret, i think that's about it :)

Caught some people messing with it in my school today, all hell unleashed since I'm due to leave soon so i can be assured they won't touch it again :huh:

+1 for the Mag 210 - I had one of these with a MAG-250 head (I think) and rather liked it. Sold both 'cos I put my back out last year and didn't want to risk a repeat due to insanely heavy kit.

Used just that cab and head in some quite big spaces, and the octaver was an evil (in a good way) piece of kit.

Only minor downside was that it didn't really sing until cranked up a bit, so not a lounge rig I would say...