Why become a member? ×

G&L L1000

guzzibass

Not many in the UK, and they're going up in value as they are starting to be recognised for what they are - a Leo era classic. They're fetching around $800-$1000 in the US now - 3 years ago you could have one for $400ish.

However, the BadAssBassPlayers forum is organising a Limited Edition reissue of the L1000 with G&L at the moment - so is a rare opportunity to get a new one!

Edited by RichardH

I have one of these. I bought it about 2 years ago when it looked like this - (bad refin)

I had it refinished again and now it looks like this

I've since replaced those knobs with chickenhead ones.

It dates from Oct '81 and is Ash/Rosewood although Alder and Mahogany are common body woods.
Mine weighs just over 9lbs but G&L's can be quite heavy.

Completely passive but with bass and treble cut controls, the wiring on mine was a mess and I had to get the diagram off the net and sort it out. The three way switch is parallel, single coil and series with bass boost for the single MFD humbucker.
I can get some pleasing vintage P type tones as long as I don't run the controls fully open, but it has a variety of other tones too.

It originally cost me £325 but there's one on e-bay at £799.

Great bass.

Hi, I have a BABP wunkay on order....get in quick, the piccy is of my fretless, they are great basses, passive with the MFD pup, a 3 position switch with the well documented OMG setting that is near earthquake ! an interesting if one dimensional bass but then so is the precision, isnt it? Early basses were often mahogany bodied and known as 'hogs' across the pond , I believe, go and get one...

Found it on what...! However, it looks like a real beauty, I love g&l's, they dont have the kudos over here, but dont let that put you off, they are what you said..."more fender than modern ferkin fenders" Maybe a new thread there I think. :)

[quote name='nig' post='217959' date='Jun 12 2008, 09:57 PM']Found it on what...! However, it looks like a real beauty, I love g&l's, they dont have the kudos over here, but dont let that put you off, they are what you said..."more fender than modern ferkin fenders" Maybe a new thread there I think. :)[/quote]

Ishibashi U-box - there a pinned thread 'Importing Guitars' by Dood on the main bit of Basschat.

Anyway click on this

[url="http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/"]http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/[/url]

Edited by guzzibass