Why become a member? ×

Help with replacing tweeter/diafragm

Hi, the tweeter on my Super12T has blown up. I'm sure it's the tweeter because the multimeter doesn't read anything, besides i took it appart and the voice coil gap is filled with a strange liquid substance with a brownish color wich i assume is something that melted from the voice coil... My questions are: Where can i find a cheap replacement diafragm (shipping costs to Portugal make me avoid thomann)? and Should i clean that substance from the voice coil gap or is it something that's in fact part of the tweeter (like a lubricant or similar)? Sorry for not using paragraphs, only have IE10 on this PC. Cheers

I can get one of ebay for arround 10€ with shipping included from UK, that's a price i'm prepared to accept. Can somebody answer just the question about cleaning the voice coil gap? My mind says yes but would be reassuring to hear it from somebody else. Cheers

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1372977115' post='2132512']
I can get one of ebay for arround 10€ with shipping included from UK, that's a price i'm prepared to accept. Can somebody answer just the question about cleaning the voice coil gap? My mind says yes but would be reassuring to hear it from somebody else. Cheers
[/quote]

That brownish gunk you've found is probably not a lubricant but the fluid designed to cool the voice-coil! So if that leaks out the cooling will be even further reduced. This doesn't look good. I think you need more than just a diaphragm!!

See here - http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=290-532

Balcro.

Well, i decided to try the diafragm change, it's a very simple procedure to do and for the cost (10€ ~ £8) it's worth taking the shot.

I'll be taking a small wire or pice of plastic and pass it round the coil gap fist so i can spread the ferrofluid to that little gap first to prevent future problems. Let's see if that'll do it.

Cheers