Why become a member? ×

Wizard 84s pickup height

thinman

[quote name='thinman' post='214635' date='Jun 7 2008, 09:32 PM']Has anyone got any recommendations for the height of Wizard 84s on a Jazz?[/quote]
Not as such, but me E side is fair screwed down & the neck more so than the bridge but they are at the same angle, if that makes any sense at all. I used the input VU meter on me ABM to get similar outputs across each string and between pickups, then fine tuned with me ears. Not literally, you understand. Good luck mush.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='214638' date='Jun 7 2008, 09:38 PM']Not as such, but me E side is fair screwed down & the neck more so than the bridge but they are at the same angle, if that makes any sense at all. I used the input VU meter on me ABM to get similar outputs across each string and between pickups, then fine tuned with me ears. Not literally, you understand. Good luck mush.[/quote]

I thought every other person on this forum had 84's! I thought a few recommendations might save me hours of mucking about. Get them rulers out!

As I understand it, there is no specific height for a pick-up to be. Having the pick-up further away from the strings obviously gives a lower output with less attack and vice versa.

One way of setting the pick-up height to achieve the optimum output is to fret the strings at the uppermost fret then adjust the height to give you about a 2mm clearance between the string and the pick-up. Get the pick-up too close to the strings and the magnetic field starts to act upon the string causing some interesting effects as I found out recently (produces a phasing type of sound).

Mark

Problem with getting settings off other people is that it is majorly dependent on your playing style and even your rig. If you really dig in and beat down on the string as you pluck/pick it then you may need to drop it a bit lower, if you've got a light touch then you can have them a fair bit closer. I personaly like my pups to be as close to the string as possible so that my fingers almost come to rest on the pup below when I strike the string.