Why become a member? ×

Jazz or Streamer? ... dilema

Fionn

Hello. I'm a Spector player myself so not a billion miles away from a Streamer.
Few years back I had myself convinced I needed a Jazz bass also somewhat egged on by my fellow musicians in various bands I work with...dude you should so get a jazz bass! And what not.
So I did, got me a stellar American 75 reissue, figured I wanted the simple vol vol tone setup, single coil 70s pups, lovely maple neck with black block inlays, slab ash body the lot.
Everything about it is wonderful as a great bass should be. I gigged it about 2years and took the Spector back out one nite and was instantly back to a comfy place.
I had been battling with the jazz convincing myself again that this is the bass for me. For some reason the tone never inspired me like the Spector. Id set up a sound at a check be happy with it and then play with the band and would have to totally change the sound to suit the band, not like the Spector.
I also tune a tone down and the jazz doesn't seem to like the tension so put on heavier strings which changed my touch and technique, not like the Spector. Also found the pups don't seem to take the slightly lower pitch and resonate differently.
I ain't played the jazz in a year now and don't miss it.
Looking to sell it now and get another Spector.
No real advice here just more of a rant.
But may give you an insight. They are 2 totally different basses and I think it may have been a shock to my system to adjust, but when I went back to the Spector all was good.
I've heard other bass players play my bass and it sounds super. So its not the bass.....anywhi
Brian

The simple fact is that you'll always miss elements of the one, when you have the other. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having both...as someone else suggested, get yourself a Squire or Vintage Modified Jazz for now, you get 90% of the goodness for 1/3 for the price and there's always a ready market for these if you want to trade up to an American Standard in the future.

After nearly 20 years on 6-strings (an Ibanez, then a Yamaha TRB-6) an engineer bought his new American Standard Jazz to a session. I played it on a couple of tunes and within 6 days had bought a 2010 Highway One, to which I added a Hipshot D-tuner. That was just over 2 years ago and I can honestly l say I have never been happier with a bass. It just seems to work on anything.
So embrace the slab - it looks tiny on me (compared to the TRB)!
Keep 'em peeled for a Highway One - they seem to go on here for about £400-450....total bargain.

[quote name='TLBX' timestamp='1384956327' post='2282747']
Hello. I'm a Spector player myself so not a billion miles away from a Streamer.
So I got me a stellar American 75 reissue, figured I wanted the simple vol vol tone setup, single coil 70s pups, lovely maple neck with black block inlays, slab ash body the lot.
Everything about it is wonderful as a great bass should be. I gigged it about 2 years and took the Spector back out one nite and was instantly back to a comfy place.
I had been battling with the jazz convincing myself again that this is the bass for me. For some reason the tone never inspired me like the Spector.[/quote]

Interesting! I'm exactly the opposite! Having played J basses for years, I listened to the hype about Spectors and got one. Now, while I agree that they are great basses, they just don't work for me personally. Something about the shape, but definitely not the tone - which I love (but not as much as I love the tone of a classic J).

And like a lot of big guys, the small body of the Spector/Warwick just looks silly on me. :blush:

Funny isn't it? So now it looks like I might be trading my Spector for a Fender Jazz, and I couldn't be happier! :)

Edited by Conan

Hey Conan.
I'm the opposite, been of a smaller stature the jazz looks hilarious in me.
Took the jazz out today just a lovely bass. Might just keep it and look again next year for another Spector.
Glad to hear you got a jazz coming your way.