Why become a member? ×

Ctm 100 users

Patchbass

Sorry if mentioned before couldn't find anything on it. so has anyone actually got a Ctm 100 as I want to know whether it is loud enough for gigging mainly in pubs with most probably a 410 like a Ashdown cl 410 I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to watts etc and I'm going to see if I can try one but would like to hear from people who use one. I play in a 3 piece with a fairly loud drummer and a guitarist who doesn't go too loud and is clean most of the time! any replies are very helpful thanks!

In short watts are not useful at all in telling how loud something will be. 100w valve heads are enough for giging, but you might need more cab that one 4x10. I'd use the Barefaced Super 15/Vintage (because they are what I use) but bigger heavier 2x15s will do similar volume favours. With 100w you can crank it into power valve growl territory and cover a lot of sonic area, ideal for single guitar bands.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1372718667' post='2129220']
In short watts are not useful at all in telling how loud something will be. 100w valve heads are enough for giging, but you might need more cab that one 4x10. I'd use the Barefaced Super 15/Vintage (because they are what I use) but bigger heavier 2x15s will do similar volume favours. With 100w you can crank it into power valve growl territory and cover a lot of sonic area, ideal for single guitar bands.
[/quote] hmm thanks for the reply i could maybe get an abm 610? As i don't have the money to get a barefaced cab as well as much as i would like to get one!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1372777379' post='2129828']
Is the ABM6x10 sealed? Sealed means low efficiency too. I dunno what drivers they use either. Thing to check is sensitivity ratings.
[/quote] ok the 610 is sealed and what's an ideal sensitivity to look for?

[quote name='Patchbass' timestamp='1372784439' post='2129963']
ok the 610 is sealed and what's an ideal sensitivity to look for?
[/quote]

Higher is better. but too high is lies. If something claims to be 6db more sensitive than everything else of say general form, then it probably isn't true, Eden are big on that. The SVT 8x10 at 100db is a good benchmark. Barefaced Compact is also 100db, ported vs seals is kind of a big deal.

My valve amp is 100w and I play it through the Barefaced '69er (sealed 6x10, sensitivity 102db). It's loud enough for small/medium gigs, but I have bought a 900w digital jobbie for backup/louder gigs. TBH I use the 900w job for most gigs now as I like the assurance that I have more than enough volume. The valve amp is now reserved for small gigs and recording. The all valve tone can't be beaten!

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Patchbass' timestamp='1372786590' post='2130005']
hmm thanks for the replies guys maybe it's better to spend the extra and just get the ctm 300 though it cost's more to maintain with the extra valves
[/quote]

That thing where you need to change valves every couple of years is a myth/lie.

Nice and yes forgot about the weight difference between the 100 and 300 hmm it doesn't state the sensitivity of the abm 610 but the 410 is 94db 1w@1m so maybe a bit lower compared to the abm 410 but that's a lower wattage does that make a difference? Advice someone?!

[quote name='Patchbass' timestamp='1372793321' post='2130144']
Nice and yes forgot about the weight difference between the 100 and 300 hmm it doesn't state the sensitivity of the abm 610 but the 410 is 94db 1w@1m so maybe a bit lower compared to the abm 410 but that's a lower wattage does that make a difference? Advice someone?!
[/quote]

Wattage still doesn't mean anything on cabs. Even less if anything. So 4 of those 4x10s = 1 Compact or SVt8x10. Sounds a bit far really.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1372794343' post='2130168']

Wattage still doesn't mean anything on cabs. Even less if anything. So 4 of those 4x10s = 1 Compact or SVt8x10. Sounds a bit far really.
[/quote] yeah I never knew it would get so complicated hehe I will see what I can try as well as I thought at least a 100 watt vale head through a 610 would be loud enough?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1372797361' post='2130210']
'loud enough' is a bit 'as long as a piece of string'. Depends on the 6x10, might be made to have lots of watts, and nothing else, not uncommon, Basson cabs were based on the principle.
[/quote] yeah i guess hmm this is harder than i thought i shall see what i can try

A mate of mine has a 30 watt Laney guitar combo, can't remember the exact number, but he has it second hand, it's around 20 years old and until last week it had NEVER been re-valved pretty certain he had EL34s in there and a few others all of which were completely original and still working the only reason he changed the valves was because they had never been changed and he's got a busy summer of gigs and didn't want one to crap out on him!

If taken care of Valves can last a long time!

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1372845834' post='2130527']
If taken care of Valves can last a long time!
[/quote]

Ha, even if treated brutally, good ones can last:

From a 70s amp (guess late 70s), all still tested good, and sold for enough to pay for the amp in that state.

If your mate's amp was the Laney AOR30, I just had one in, will be on the block after an MOT, if he's after a backup.