Why become a member? ×

SR300

Nicodemus17

Hi, ive recently bought a used ibanez sr300 and I need to adjust the truss rod.
What size allen key do I need?
Also will ball end allen keys work? I saw on another forum someone saying these are no good for truss rod adjustment and I wanted to get a second opinion on this.
I have trawled the web looking for the answer to this question, I never thought it would be so damn difficult finding out something that really is basic information!!
Thanks in advance for any help.

[quote name='Nicodemus17' timestamp='1372440598' post='2125839']
Hi, ive recently bought a used ibanez sr300 and I need to adjust the truss rod.
What size allen key do I need?
[/quote]

No idea what size you need. I'd just get down to my nearest Tesco/Halfords/whatever and get a set going from 1.5mm upwards. It'll only cost you a couple of quid, and you'll have every size you're likely to need.

If you know the sizes then you're going to struggle to find anywhere in Luton that just sells them singly.

If you [b]do[/b] find anywhere, then you're probably going to be paying over the odds for them.

Nip down to Maplins (in the Arndale Centre) or that massive B&Q Megastore (just off Dunstable Road) and buy a set as barkin recommended above.

As soon as you adjust the trussrod, you can pretty much guarantee that the bridge saddles will need adjusting - at that point you'll thank us for telling you to buy a set. :)

EDIT: As for the ball end ones, I can see no real reason why not but I'd just go for the plain ones - if you really need to use a ball end allen key then there's a fair chance that it's going to slip and that'll nearly always cause some damage to the allen socket.

4 Millimeter for the truss rod, 1.5 millimeter for the saddles.
The ball end ones for the truss rod are risky, if you (need to) use too much force you might damage the allen socket, this is because of the smaller contact area between the socket and the key.

• 2 months later...

[u][b]For anyone else setting up an Ibanez bass:[/b][/u]

Here's a pdf you can download. It covers all the parts on all the bases they sell, bridges, EQ etc. and gives you instructions on how to set up your instrument for the best action and intonation.

Very handy if you're new at setting up a bass and unsure how to proceed.

[url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/manual/guitars/Ibanez_EB_05_Excl_Prestige.pdf"]http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/manual/guitars/Ibanez_EB_05_Excl_Prestige.pdf[/url]