Why become a member? ×

White Spotlights

sirenboy

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question so apologies if it isn't. I'm the bass player and designated lighting engineer in my six-piece band and I'm looking for a bank of at least six white spotlights that can be placed on the floor at the front of the band so that one spotlight can be pointed up at each band member and be individually dimmed if necessary. Does anyone know if such a set-up exists? I've looked at the Chauvet 6 Spot but this is meant to fit onto a tripod or lighting rig not stand on the floor. Also, I'm not sure if this unit will produce white light.

Thanks in advance.

I happily use lights designed for tripod use on the floor all the time! I have some flood lights that won't fit on the tripods I have already (too many lights!) so I put them on the floor with no trouble at all.

KAM make some great low-cost LED RBGW par-cans that you can buy individually and you can invert the mounting clamp to lean them at the required angle on the floor. I got four for £65 at whybuynew.co.uk.

Truckstop

+1 to Truckstop. I'm also the designated PA, mixer, sound engineer and lighting chap for our 5 piece. Often use par cans on the floor pointing upwards, with the mounting bracket reversed to point them in the right direction. However, we don't individually dim them like you asked.
Cheers
Geoff

I believe that the Chauvet 6-spot will produce white light however I don't think they would suit your needs as the heads are very close together and I don't think they can be individually controlled.

My band tried floor based par cans to provide white light on band members but I often found myself making mistakes during songs due to looking directly into, and being being temporarily dazzled by, them. We have since mounted led par cans on tripod stands at each side of the stage with white light directed onto band members at bass/guitar height rather than at face height. This works much better from a practical (playing) point of view and looks just as good from out front IMO. Perhaps this approach may be worth considering?

Edited by gazhowe