Why become a member? ×

HELP!!! - Dented my lacquer

davehux

By an act of total stupidity, I knocked over my beautiful gunmetal blue CIJ Fender Aerodyne Jazz, then another guitar fell on top of it and punched 4 neat X shaped holes into the lacquer from the screwheads on the neck plate.

The holes are right on the front of the top horn and really obvious. They are only 3-4mm in diameter, but look dreadful as the rest of the bass is mint.

Is there anyway of softening the lacquer with perhaps the tip of a soldering iron held close, so that the dents will flow out, or will I make it even worse???

I'm heartbroken :(

If it's like my Jap basses (one's an export Aerodyne) then it's a polyurethane or polyester, ie a 2-part catalysed finish - be really surprised if you could do anything other than cause more damage with heat. If you want to check, put a small amount of acetone on a cotton bud and try it somewhere inconspicuous like the neck pocket - nitro or acrylic will soften, it won't do anything to poly.
I'd suggest a car acrylic as close a colour as you can find, spray this on, wait a week or two (it really does take a while to harden) then blend with very fine finishing paper like iceonaboy suggests. If necessary repeat with a clearcoat.

Edited by LawrenceH