Why become a member? ×

Anyone else stuck on this ?

ML94

Hi

i just wanted to see how many people have this same problem or if I'm the only sufferer!

it seems like when I first started playing I would use tab and then for other parts work them out by ear. As far as the lick or little Improv parts I would usually have the little melody in my head and then I would work it out.

now it seems that all the melodies I have are being 'though' of through my fingers. Those patterns that you learn e.g. Pentatonic fills and so on.

I know it comes with practice, playing what is in your head instantaneously but is there a way where you can 'unlearn' these patterns ?

is there anyone else in the same kind of position ?

love to hear responses!

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1370463461' post='2101463']
I learned by playing along with vinyl. Moving the needle back again and again, till I had the passage in my head, then , playing along in real time. I'm convinced that's what made me as a player because, whilst its easier for people nowadays with YouTube and tabs online, I think a lot of people can't play in a band as they are stuck in ruts of playing in their bedrooms with no real conception of playing with other people. It might be a poor attitude, I just feel that getting down and learning by ear, is the best way to master a piece
[/quote] +1 :D

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1370463461' post='2101463']
I learned by playing along with vinyl. Moving the needle back again and again, till I had the passage in my head, then , playing along in real time. I'm convinced that's what made me as a player because, whilst its easier for people nowadays with YouTube and tabs online, I think a lot of people can't play in a band as they are stuck in ruts of playing in their bedrooms with no real conception of playing with other people. It might be a poor attitude, I just feel that getting down and learning by ear, is the best way to master a piece
[/quote]

so gathering from that I should be doing more working out by ear more than I'm doing now :lol: