Why become a member? ×

Ashdown mag 300 evo II combo

Les

Long story but was using a 180 mag with a 15 speaker but it wasn't quite enough. So chucked a Trace 2 x10 on as an extension speaker and all was fine.

Just bought a mag 300 combo thinking it would be ok on it's own, Now I haven't used it on it's own yet cos' the 2 x 10 extension cab was in the trailer but I'm pushing quite a high master volume even with the extension cab.

Is anyone managing with this combo on it's own ??

We do have PA support but I'm not sure this combo is going to be enough stand alone.

Les

Now, I don't know a thing about your experience level, so you may know this stuff a lot better than I do. No looking down intended.
But I noticed you hadn't received an answer yet, so I thought it was better I answered than nobody.
That said:

From the look of it, it seems as if you may have had too high hopes for the difference between 180 and 307 W, which sadly is not much. People will hopefully correct me if I misremember, but I seem to recall you'd need ten times the wattage to gain an extra 6 dB.

If the new combo has a 15 as well, IMS that doesn't help either. As far as I can understand, the 410 is seriously loud in smaller venues like pubs and churches.
You could try the following:
Create more headroom by turning down the lowest frequencies. The audience's ears will construct them back in.
Experiment with the next button (filter frequency).
Switch off the sub octave.
Engage the onboard compressor in a relatively mild setting.
Put some form of distortion on the signal and possibly tame this with the frequency knob to the left of the treble knob as well as the treble knob.
Adjust gain and volume up. There should be space for that now.
Experiment with combo placement so you avoid phase-unalignment in frequencies that are important for you

Other than that, I'm not too fond of the idea of using different brand cabs together. Unless one is very lucky, they will have very different impedance curves both frequency-wise and amplitude-wise, and this is risky not only for the sound you get but also to the point of possible damage to the drivers.

Well, that was my try. Good luck!

best,
bert

Thanks for your input Bert. I guess should really try the combo on it's own before I start decrying it. I've just read about so many people saying it's fine for a band situation I was just surprised at the amount of master volume I had to use, even with an extension cab.

Les

Hi,

I have the same combo and always need my 2x10 Ashdown cab, which i always have next to the combo tilted backwards. The amp alone is not in my opinion loud enough for the average pub gig - shame as i love the tone.
I always have my amps raised up too to help me hear myself over loud drummer and even louder guitarist :-(