Why become a member? ×

Cab confusion?

timmyi23

Hi,

Ive been given an old Laney 15" cab. The speaker is intact but am getting no sound from my head. The head is rated at 400 watt/2 ohm and 200 watt/ 4 ohm. I have no idea what impedence the cab is as the markings have all but gone, the speaker is an STW155 Deep Bass. Can anyone advise me the rating of this and if it is the cause of no sound from the head.
Many thanks
Tim

Edited by timmyi23

Update to original post. The head doesn't work, was an older Peavey but no sound from it tested with 2 other cabs. However, would still like some advice regarding the Laney cab, how can I test if it works without a head? The speaker and driver is pretty much a solid sealed unit and there is just a single split electrical lead from the speaker positive/negative terminals to the 1/4" lead input, nothing else.
Cheers
Tim

again, if you can test the terminals with a meter and they read somewhere between 3 and 7 ohms, that will give an idea the voice coil is intact. Check the cone for rubbing noises as you gently push the cone evenly in the axis of cone movement (in and out!)