Why become a member? ×

Piezo pickups - Is there much difference?

MiltyG565

I've sent off a PM to Alan (Skelf). It will be interesting to see if we can get it to function the way I think it should in my head.

And you might also be interested to learn that I have also come up with a similarly insane telecaster-based guitar, but it doesn't invest so heavily in a preamp... in fact, it doesn't need a preamp at all, but it should be cool. Hopefully I can make it to match this bass.

Just don't expect too much, I spent ages designing and building multi-functional guitars 15 or so years ago, piezos, midi hookups etc etc, and they turned out to be not much good at any one thing, so I went back to having a strat, a tele, an SG and a couple of acoustics, and doing midi stuff with keyboards. It all sounded better in the end.
Fun to do though, btw, Alan IS ACG pretty much.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1368779070' post='2081297']
Just don't expect too much, I spent ages designing and building multi-functional guitars 15 or so years ago, piezos, midi hookups etc etc, and they turned out to be not much good at any one thing, so I went back to having a strat, a tele, an SG and a couple of acoustics, and doing midi stuff with keyboards. It all sounded better in the end.
Fun to do though, btw, Alan IS ACG pretty much.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm a pretty firm believer that something works best when it is only designed for one thing. Phones work best when they are phones, not small computers, and vice versa. Thing is though, i'm not trying to make it anything it's not. I'm not really compromising the functionality of anything, just combining them to make the bass more versatile.

[quote name='MarkBassChat' timestamp='1368790645' post='2081515']
Check this video: [url="http://www.youtube.com/v/AJ1B4vVXZTI"]http://www.youtube.com/v/AJ1B4vVXZTI[/url] to see/hear the difference between piezo and magnetic pickups sound.

Mark
[/quote]

Wish he would shush and play the thing. Cheers for the video though :)

Stopped the video when he said he was using delay.

Edited by MiltyG565

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1368791726' post='2081541']
Wish he would shush and play the thing.
[/quote]
+++1 !!! What make of bass is this (I couldn't catch what he said at the start)?

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1368797562' post='2081661']
+++1 !!! What make of bass is this (I couldn't catch what he said at the start)?
[/quote]

No idea. I saw the bass and thought "Oh for f*** sake", then when he wouldn't shut up, I drifted towards the close button, then he said he was using effects - instantly closed it. If you want us to hear how something sounds, in my eyes, you play it completely clean and without any effects.