Why become a member? ×

Flappy B string Godlyke Bass

Roger2611

Finally got my 5 string back today...brought it because it had SGC electrics and guess what didn't work properly...yes the bloody electrics....anyway 2 months after taking the plunge I have finally got it back, all working, without the distortion that was plaguing the thing...first impressions...I am not sure about 18V actives....it just seems the slightest adjustment has a massive tonal effect...it's like I am scared to touch anything as the changes are that extreme...does that sound right for 18v electrics?

The B string feels so loose, it feels wrong as if the bass isn't built to feel like that, I guess thats what it should feel like, but to me I want to tune the whole guitar to a high B which no doubt defeats the object of a five string! can a 5 string be built, scale wise, to be a high 5 bass rather than low?

My friend in the shop that sorted the electrics tells me it serves me right for entering the dark side and messing with more than 4 strings is he right...am I dancing with the devil in the pale moonlight armed only with a flappy b string and dodgy electrics?

If I turn my back on it is it likely to go for me???

Scared now, advice needed!

Rog

Low B's are generally a little bit flappier than you're probably used to as a 4 string player, unless you're spending megabucks.

The easiest 'fix' is to replace the B string with a slightly heavier gauge - I generally stick a .135 on there and it works just fine.

I've also noticed that I have a slight change in playing style as well, I tend to be just a tad gentler with the B and tilt the pups slightly to compensate.

Dunno about the electronics on your bass, but there's now't wrong with walking on the dark side. :)