Why become a member? ×

My new Thru-Tone PM-1 (Ernie Ball Volume Pedal Mod)

gstirrat

Though I'd share this with folks here, I've not found another post talking about this.

A few months ago, I was keen on buying a volume pedal. The EB Volume pedal seemed to be the only one to go for because they feel very nice and they've got brilliant build quality. I needed something that would work with both my Active and Passive basses. EB do a 25k and a 250K pedal to suit either, but none does both active and passive equally well.

After a bit of research I found Justin Butler, a musician from Nashville who basically rips out the guts of the EB Pedals and replaces them with his own active circuits (needs 9v power), basically a buffer for the output and a buffer for the tuner out so that there's no tone loss. The thing that was appealing to me was that it has a variable impedance knob, allowing me to use both active and passive guitars on it. There's an active/passive switch, basically allowing you to turn it back into the normal unpowered EB Pedal if you wanted.

It was slightly more expensive (think it worked out to be about £170 inc shipping), but I had a bit of spare cash from some gigs at the time. It took about 2 months to get here (He's pretty busy), but it's finally arrived and I'm very happy with it!

As a bonus, it glows blue in active mode! Very cool. . .

[attachment=133472:IMG_3778.jpg] [attachment=133495:IMG_3781.jpg]

Here's the website:

[url="http://www.thru-tone.com/"]http://www.thru-tone.com/[/url]

Edited by gstirrat

Fantastically simple idea as well, i'v always been bemused as to why volume pedals don't have the option as standard, given the sheer number of bassists who must own at least one active and one passive instrument. Looks quality :)