Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Dual Tube 330 Spyder

matt-bass-sparkes

Hello!

I have been on the verge of getting an Ampeg PF350 as I am very impressed with the tonal range when I've used various ones at gigs and rehearsal studios, and the price (I can get one brand new for £219).

However, the Ashdown Dual Tube 330 Spyder head has caught my attention.

I've never owned a tube "valve" bass amp before....

These retail at a minimum price of around £250...

Has anyone had any exprerience with this, or any other tube heads? Are they as delicate as normal guitar tube amps?

All of the tranny amps that I have owned have never let me down (apart from when I drunkenly plugged my Laney R4H into the speaker out of my mates Hartke combo...!!)

I haven't bought a new head for ages as I've been using a combo, but I would like to know if this (or any) tube head can stand the gigging life?

Matt

Edited by matt-bass-sparkes

I've used a Dual Tube 550 Spyder for a good while. From my understanding the only difference is the 330 uses a MAG power section while the 550 uses an ABM power section.

It's been a good head. Not a great deal of versatility. A bit of a one-trick pony but you can add or remove treble, mids and bass to that sound. And it is a very good trick that it does :)

I've gigged mine for nearly two years and have never had any problems. Seems solid enough and has given me no issues. Currently selling it if you're interested ;)

I personally wouldn't mind a go on one of these myself, but I think it's all dependent on what your cab set up. If you are using just 1 300 watt, 8 ohm cab, it will do a decent job. Then again, your PF-350 should cover all your needs anyway. I've got one & it's a great little head.
If you have 2 8 ohm cab or 1 powerful 4 ohm cab set up, you have other options too. Hartke's LH500 & HA3500 heads-The former's my main head whilst I used to own the latter-will also fit the bill. There's also always a lot of love on here for Orange TB500s too!