Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Roland CB-30 v CB-100

aceuggy

At the moment I am using a small Fender 15w Rumble amp. I want to upgrade to something more powerfull and like the Roland Cube. My question is would the 30w be enough? I only practice in my bedroom at present, but may one day, play in a band where I would presumably need more power. If I went down the 100w road, would that be too much? I know I needn't turn the volume up on the bigger amp but would that affect the sound adversely?

[quote name='aceuggy' post='209232' date='May 29 2008, 10:49 PM']At the moment I am using a small Fender 15w Rumble amp. I want to upgrade to something more powerfull and like the Roland Cube. My question is would the 30w be enough? I only practice in my bedroom at present, but may one day, play in a band where I would presumably need more power. If I went down the 100w road, would that be too much? I know I needn't turn the volume up on the bigger amp but would that affect the sound adversely?[/quote]

Not really. The 100W will be quite happy playing at bedroom volumes, and will give you just about enough beef for a rehearsal or a small gig. The 30W will struggle at anything past bedrooms. Others might disagree, but I would say that there's not really any point 'upgrading' from 15W to 30W.

Here's the 100W [url="http://www.roland.co.uk/guitar_room_catdetx.asp?id=CUBE100BASS#"]Roland Basscube 100W[/url] I suggest you click 'where to buy this product?' find your nearest dealer and go have a bash.

You're not pushing the boat out too far at 100W, it's a basic standard power level and the amp won't be huge. Basscubes are in fact conveniently dinky. Put it this way: my new rig is probably just pushing the boundaries of what's sensible and it's got more than ten times that power!

The 100W is less than £100 more expensive and it's actually worth the hassle of changing for. I really wouldn't bother with the 30W. Personally.

trent900, thanks for your prompt reply. You have just confirmed what I was thinking really, that the 100W amp would be the one to go for. As I said it will only be used for practise in my bedroom.I will take your advice and go and have a bash on one. :)

Edited by aceuggy