Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Isolated bass tracks

bluesparky

I've noticed, as I'm sure most of you have too, that there are now plenty of isolated bass tracks kicking around the place. Many of which are on YouTube.

Where do they come from, or more to the point, HOW do they come from wherever they come from?
Are they legit tracks released by the publicists or has someone got some clever software that does it for them?

How many of them are the actual original tracks (as a rough proportion) and a lot of them simply people putting their own versions up and stating that they are the original.
I'm quite amazed at how many are kicking around now.

[quote name='bluesparky' timestamp='1366359491' post='2051347']
How does the rock back thing work? Are they the original tracks or high quality covers (I've never played rock band / guitar hero).
[/quote]

Yea, all original. IIRC, they had some trouble with the beatles rock band, as the bass and drums were on the same track and were digitally seperated.

Ok, thank you. Very interesting.
I know that commercially released songs get taken off YouTube all the time - I wonder if items such as isolated bass tracks get the same attention, or if the labels don't have the means to track or find them quite so easily and remove them.

[quote name='bluesparky' timestamp='1366374851' post='2051709']
Ok, thank you. Very interesting.
I know that commercially released songs get taken off YouTube all the time - I wonder if items such as isolated bass tracks get the same attention, or if the labels don't have the means to track or find them quite so easily and remove them.
[/quote]

There's a thread full of isolated bass tracks on here somewhere. It was pinned but a lot of the youtube links were dead, so yes thee things do get removed from time to time.

I know at least Anarchy by the Pistols was redone by the band as they could't find the masters. Steve Jones played the bass and it's different to Matlock's playing on the original.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1366386077' post='2051965']

There's a thread full of isolated bass tracks on here somewhere. It was pinned but a lot of the youtube links were dead, so yes thee things do get removed from time to time.

I know at least Anarchy by the Pistols was redone by the band as they could't find the masters. Steve Jones played the bass and it's different to Matlock's playing on the original.
[/quote]

Cool, I'll have a look.
It certainly makes transcribing tracks easier.
A far cry from having to rewind tapes and use high speed dubbing to make muddy basslines clearer!