Why become a member? ×

GK NEO cab selections

NeonMig

Right, so I've got a GK 700rb, and want to pair it with a couple of NEO cabinets, mostly because I've really liked the sound of the one I tried out (a 112 of a friend's), as well as the weight and size considerations. I'm a huge fan of the 'GK sound', so I figured GK cabs are the best designed to help deliver it. I had 2 Ashdown ABMs, a 2x10 and a 4x10 (which weighed an absolute ton) and I need to lighten up my load - I had a hernia op done last year which I think became necessary due to dragging that 4x10 around!

I play in a progressive/power metal band so I need a fair bit of projection and power. The 6x10 setup I had did the trick nicely - just right, volume-wise.

My question is what set should I go for? Will a 212+112 or 212+212 do the trick in terms of projection? Maybe a 115 + 212? Anyone have experience with these cabs?

I'm hoping to get away with not using a 4x10, to make transport easier (I drive a not-massive car).

Thanks!

Not knowing those particular cabs, but my advice would always be get two of the same. Then for rehearsals and small gigs, one should be fine, at bigger gigs bring along the other, with no need for re-eqing.

I was always a "410 is the minimum", and had 412s, or 410 + 210 rigs. I now use a 112 combo with 112 ext cab. When I bought these I thought I would be compromising on sound, but my back dictated the need. Luckily, there was no compromise. In your position, I`d try the 212, and if you like it, buy one. You never know, it may be plenty on its own.

Having owned and gigged one of the 8 ohm 2x12's I can attest that they are good cabs, and also sensitive (put out a good volume for whatever wattage you put into them)........ but they're still only two 12" speakers. The laws of physics still apply.
Ideally I'd advise you to go for two identical cabs, in this case, two of the 2x12's. If you use even one 1x12 or 1x15 with a 2x12 I'd say you would be risking the single speaker cab, as they don't quite comfortably handle half the power that a 700RB can put out. And I'm taking you at your word that you'll need to push the rig quite hard.
One 2x12 might be enough, who knows, our descriptions and perceptions of "volume" are all different. I got by fine in small to medium venues putting a 500W (at 4ohm) amp into the 8 ohm cab (master usually about halfway). But, without FoH support, in a large hall or a big marquee or even an ourdoor event I would have been underpowered I'm sure.

Edited by hamfist

I have the MK I version of the 2x12, which is a little taller and skinner than the Neo 212-iii posted above; It's a really great cab, and gets very loud with my 1001rb or LMIII.
You may only need one, but I'm at the stage where I'm considering buying a second one...