Why become a member? ×

Wal passive bass pots info needed

ModLad69

Hi Wal heads,
Can anyone tell me what pot "K" value Wal uses for their passive basses? Fender uses 250K, and Gibson uses 500K.
I have a '92 Wal MK I Custom that is passive, and when I looked at the pots, no "K" value was shown. I did see "UK" on the pots which tells me they were made in the UK. I need to find 4 UK made pots (2 regular, and two push/pull pots) that have the appropriate "K" value for a Wal passive pups. Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated! :)
Cheers!

[quote name='ModLad69' timestamp='1365137650' post='2035792']
Hi Wal heads,
Can anyone tell me what pot "K" value Wal uses for their passive basses? Fender uses 250K, and Gibson uses 500K.
I have a '92 Wal MK I Custom that is passive, and when I looked at the pots, no "K" value was shown. I did see "UK" on the pots which tells me they were made in the UK. I need to find 4 UK made pots (2 regular, and two push/pull pots) that have the appropriate "K" value for a Wal passive pups. Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated! :)
Cheers!
[/quote]

Have you thought about contacting Electric Wood / Paul Herman and asking him about replacement parts , if they are indeed for your Wal bass ? He would be the best person to help , in all probability .

Thru my experience with contacting Paul Herman via email, the only time I have ever gotten a reply from him was a few yrs back when I considered ordering a new Wal bass. Otherwise, he has not replied to emails, and yes, I know he's a one man operation, and is very busy. Perhaps he should employ a part time person to handle a good deal of his emails to lesson the load on himself. He should also consider taking a younger luthier under his wing to train and help him /Wal further the business, as did Pete with Paul back in the '90s.
I honour Paul for taking on the task of furthering the great legacy of Ian Waller & Pete Stevens of Wal basses. Paul is Wal's saviour! ;)
I thank you lads for you kind input! Still searching though......

If it's any help at all , I seem to remember that the kind of unofficial Wal repairer in the USA was a renowned English luthier called Roger Giffin who moved to the States back in the 1980's . I think he is living up in Oregon now , and if all else fails it might be worth getting in touch with him .

I thank you much, Dingus, for trying your best to help me with the Wal pots issue. I will try and somehow find Roger Giffin thur searching the internet, and if you have any leads how to possibly find him, please do send that my way as well, mate.
You're a gentleman, and fellow Wal appreciator. ;)
Cheers!

No problems , my friend , I used to play Wal basses myself and I knew Pete and the crew at Electric Wood a little bit when they were at Wycombe and they[u] [i]always[/i] [/u]took care of their customers . I know that Pete had a stock of parts for the older instruments like the Pro Basses , but these were running out because it was just what they had left from years ago and some of the parts weren't in production any more . As I am sure you are already well aware , most of the hardware and electronics on Wal Basses is unique to them , and Wal must have it made for them by their own suppliers . How you would find out who that was if it isn't a standard part that is widely available I really have no idea , so I know it has been fruitless in the past , but maybe pleading with Paul via email might be worth one last try , especially if you quote the serial number of your bass and tell him that you are stuck without his help and that you are willing to pay for the part and shipping ect ( presuming that you are ) . Here is link to Roger Giffin :

[url="http://www.giffinguitars.com/"]http://www.giffinguitars.com/[/url]

You should be able to email him and he might be able to help in some way - I think maybe he knew Pete and Wal from back in the very early days in London and Paul Herman definitely worked for Roger before he worked for Wal - but whether he will know what to do about getting this particular spare part is anyones guess . Worth a try though , I hope . Good luck with getting what you need .

Edited by Dingus