Why become a member? ×

Gallien-Krueger MB Fusion Effect Loop Question

Nsoul

[font=arial, sans-serif]Hi guys,

Today I tried to loop a Equalizer pedal between [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]the send output and the return input of a GK MB Fusion amp head. I want to use the boost channel as the source of dirt and I know a [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]equalizer pedal should come after overdrive which will deliver a [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]better sound. However after some tweaking, I found that there was a [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]crack sound came from the cab, especially when I turn the bass knob up [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]on the front panel and the crack happens more frequently when I play [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]my bass harder. I use a Boss GEB-7 equalizer pedal. I also tried other [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]pedals in the loop, e.g. a ISP Decimator noise reduction, the problem [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]happened again. Until I tried a Boss DD-3 Digital Delay, the sound [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]came back to normal.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Firstly, I thought it might be the problem of mismatching the [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]impedance, but I searched both manuals of my MB Fusion and GEB-7, it [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]should not be the problem. After some researches and discussions with[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]my band mates, I found that may be such thing happens when the signal [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]level is not matched. In the manual of GEB-7, there is a Nominal Input [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]Level and a Nominal Output Level specification which both are -20dBm. [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]So I am wondering is the crack sound comes out from the EQ pedal [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]because there is too much signal goes through it?[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]So anyone here knows the exact output level [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]from the send output? I think it might be +4dB for racks? The poor thing is it does not have a switch or a knob for alternating loop level. I guess the signal comes out from loop send is very large that my pedal [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]could not bear with it. [/font]
I hope that crack sound will not cause damage to my pedals and the head...

Help please...Any ideas?

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1364497279' post='2027382']
You probably haven't done any damage, but yes pedals go in front of the amp generally. :-)
[/quote]
Thanks for the reply. The reason why I loop them is because I want to use the amp's second channel to get a overdrive sound. So I suppose loop is essential because not all the pedals are in front of overdrive, are they :)

Now I just quit using the amp's overdrive and back to Boss ODB-3 .. :(

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1364546691' post='2027884']
If you've got a hot signal going into the EQ pedal, have you tried turning all the filter sliders right down and then slowly bringing them up again to a level where it's not an issue?
[/quote]

Actually, the pedal clips even they are not activated. I think this is another reason that why a true-bypass pedal would be better....

[quote name='Nsoul' timestamp='1364644896' post='2029142']
Because not all the pedals are in front of overdrive, are they :)
[/quote]

Mine are. I use all my pedals in front of the very same amp, using both channels.