Why become a member? ×

Bass Hardware

Hayznut

Hi guys newbie here!

Currently designing a custom build for the first time and would like some suggestions and opinions on some good bass hardware.

I have been looking at Schaller tuners and bridges and Nordstrand big single pickups - anyone had any experience with these good or bad?

Ta!

Dan

My GB uses Hipshot bridges and ultra lite tuners

My Shuker uses schaller bridges and tuners

My previous Shuker used gotoh hardware

All are of equal quality with gotoh possibly a little bit lesser quality but still great and have never had a problem.

If I had to choose I'd probably go with Hipshot as I like the smoothness and accuracy of their tuners above the others.

All I would say is that there's no reason on a new build to use tuners with press fit bushings. Screw in ones are a little more chunky looking, granted but they never lift out under string tension unless something else is seriously wrong.

Any Schallers apart from BM/BMFL use screw in bushings. Hipshot Ultralites also use screw in - very nice quality, reversible tuner available in lots of finishes, sizes and button styles. Oh, and also Grover Titans (which are kinda like Schaller M4S, but are secured with two screws instead of the pins of the M4S (which you must make holes in the back of the headstock for)) and Gotoh GB7.

Oh yes, and pins are neater than screws, invisible fixings:

But a little bit more of a faff to install - place tuner where it's supposed to go, push down on it to make the pins leave a little mark, remove tuner, drill some very careful, not very deep holes then refit tuner. It ends up like this:

Edited by neepheid