Why become a member? ×

Nut filling & clearances

yanto

I've currently got Silver Slaps D & G but am going to fit Spiro Weichs. I'll have to fill in my string grooves a bit & refile new slots. Has anyone here done this, and if they have, what's the best way forward?
Also I read that string clearance at the nut should be a "business card". Does this mean credit card?
Thanks

Iain

Bit of compressed silver foil to pack up the string is almost invisible and can work a treat as a zero budget repair. If you are handy, you could fit a new nut - pretty cheap to get a replacement under £20 ( http://www.contrabass.co.uk/ebony_fittings.htm plenty of other sources but heres one supplier )

Whats the purpose of reducing the string height at the nut ? ...for bringing the strings closer to the fingerboard its usually playing around with the bridge height that does the trick. Credit card is about as low as anyone would ever want to go at the nut and is not an absolute guide or a 'correct' or 'wrong' setting . Every instrument is different and if you get too low, the string will buzz against the fingerboard ( especially when playing arco ) ...so take it easy - you only have to get it wrong once !

I've swapped from thicker strings to thinner gauge. I just left the nut alone and all was fine. I would try putting the Spiro's on first and see if this works. The credit / business card check is only a guide. No point in doing lots of work if it works fine.