Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sustain?

Steve G

Hi All

I just bought a cheap second hand bass to use for work. It needs a bit of TLC which i've started, big improvement imo. See here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/202762-p-bass-refinish/"]http://basschat.co.u...-bass-refinish/[/url]

I redid the wiring yesterday and now that I've got it working it seems to have a massive amount of sustain. At least that's what I would call it, rather than a buzz. Sound the E for example and it plays for ages. It gets to the point where cannot see the string moving but still sound comes from the amp. As soon as I touch the string it stops. Is this just a long sustain or does it point to a wiring fault??

When playing tracks that I know I suddenly have lots of background notes from previously played ones compared to when playing on my other bass.

Do all other bass do this and my original is pants and it's just highlighting my poor technique or is something amiss with the new one?

Any help or thoughts appreciated.

It sounds to me like the strings vibrations are being picked up and reproduced much better than they were before! I noticed 'background notes' once I finally learned how to set up a bass properly. It's an excuse to work on your muting, but it's not noticeable in a live setting, or in most full band recordings :)