Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot Twin Valve Combo.. Opinions & Experiences?

VTypeV4

I've been offered a really clean example of a classic Trace Elliot Twin Valve combo for good money..

Has anyone owned or borrowed one or have any experience of this model? Was it good? Was it loud enough given it's ~100w? Does the compact enclosure compromise the low end too much? Was there reliability issues with the delicate valves? Etc etc etc...

I have plenty of experience with valve and hybrid Trace stuff, I've owned plenty before but never anything as old (or as low powered!) as this model with the old Series 6 seven-band style pre-amp.

I'll have the opportunity to try it but not for a few days or weeks or whenever the chappy who owns it is about. I appreciate thats the obvious answer; try the thing!

Thoughts and feelings most welcome, cheers, Matt :D

[IMG]http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy70/VTypeV4/TV2_zps02353bd0.jpg[/IMG]

Slightly Arty shot..

[IMG]http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy70/VTypeV4/TV1_zpsb76e92fc.jpg[/IMG]

And a slightly fuzzy one..

This amp has blown my socks off! A 20 year old single-fifteen combo has no right to sound this good or be this loud. I dialed my usual settings in and it just did it without any further tweaks being required..

I've had many Trace amps over the years and they've all been great but I don't think I've ever plugged into any amp (Trace or otherwise) that has as much punch and imediacy that this does. The 15" speaker is in a very compact enclosure but it doesn't seem to compromise the low end too much although there is a slight upper-bass hump (as expected from a tiny box) but I don't mind this. The upper frequencies are very well catered for with enough 'ping' to keep me happy without requiring an HF component. This combo is head and shoulders above the 712, 715 and V-Type 4808 combos I've owned in the past, it really iss that good!

The owner has said I can keep it for a month (he's moving house) so I can get used to it and decide if I want to buy it. I'll have to see if I can find fault with it but other than it's a little bit heavy, it's awesome. He recently installed some PM brand 6550s in it's power stage so valves aren't really a worry although I've got some shuguang KT88-98s if needed..

What a fantastic bit of kit.. Seemingly old-skool Trace Elliot at it's best. :D

I haven't had chance to use under 'full battle conditions' yet however, a quick blast in the house with the master on 5 (and gain approiatly set at 7) it does begin to break up but in that smooth way, not in a 'I'm dying, give me a break' sort of way. Much like like my Trace V4 used to be..

I know it's in the house but it really does seem massively loud, especially given its compact dimensions. It'll give my Ashton stack a run for it's money!