Why become a member? ×

Lakland 55-02 std Fretless with Birdseye Maple neck - SOLD
£750

MoJoKe

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2](this price is generated by the changes to the marketplace software and not editable - please ignore and keep reading below!)[/size][/font][/color]

I'll be very sad to see this one go, but needs must at the moment!

Anyone who had the pleasure of playing this on the Markbass stand either at the London Bass Guitar Show, or the Mansons Guitar Show in Exeter, will know this one is a bit of a peach!

It is a standard 55-02 in sunburst, built in 2005, with the Bartolini Pre and pickups, but is by no means standard!

The original fingerboard (not sure if it was originally fretted or fretless; the previous owner did this, and boy what a good idea it was!) was removed by Martin at the Bass Gallery, and expertly replaced with a lovely piece of birdeye maple. The maple is slightly thicker than the standard Lakland ebony one, which somehow gives the sound more "substance", warmth and most of all, sustain. This is [i]particularly [/i]noticeable on the B and E (its tuned B-G), with probably more sustain than my other fretted 55-02, which, frankly, is also a bit of a peach!

The tone of this thing is a joy, with plenty of gorgeous fat "mwah" to be had. It is strung with a fairly new set of Elixir Mediums, which show absolutely no sign of going "fluffy" yet (but then I never use a pick), and the fingerboard is perfectly happy with roundwounds. It had rounds on it when I bought it, and I've gigged it quite a lot for the last year with no signs of board wear.

The bass is in A1 condition, virtually unmarked, no buckle rash or significant dings anywhere, and will be sold with it's original Lakland hard case, and I'm looking for [s]£750.00[/s]. [b]£675.00[/b] I'm happy to meet anywhere within 50 miles of Taunton to handover, and, as it is in a mighty fine case, I am happy to ship it anywhere at your risk/expense.

[b]Possible trades? I might be tempted by a fretted JO5 or DJ5 (but nothing else with strings!), I would also consider a tidy 15" Apple Macbook pro[/b]

[attachment=130514:55-02 F1.png][attachment=130515:55-02 F2.png][attachment=130516:55-02 F3.png][attachment=130517:55-02 F4.png][attachment=130518:55-02 F5.png][attachment=130519:55-02 F6.png][attachment=130520:55-02 F7.png]

Edited by MoJoKe

Did you use this with the Kate Bush band? I'd love to give it a spin on Breathing and Babooshka :)

Always put off by maple boards on fretless but this looks amazing. i reckon it would sound amazing with flats on too (I'm not the biggest fan of flats but with the right bass they can be perfect!)

I'm not in the market to buy unfortunately but good luck with the sale, it's a lovely thing ;)

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1363943850' post='2019775']
Did you use this with the Kate Bush band? I'd love to give it a spin on Breathing and Babooshka :)
[/quote]

Yes I did, it has exactly the right tone for both, somewhere I have a demo of Babooshka with me playing, if I can find it I'll attach it (if I can be bothered to promote such naive jerks. Shame, as the music was very good!). I also used it on Army Dreamers (which is probably what I was playing in my avatar pic), played on the neck it has a loverly rich woody sound with loads of harmonics and sustain.

I was unsure of the maple when I bought it, for two reasons, as a. I thought the tone would be thin and just wrong, but it is absolutely not, in fact quite the reverse, rich full sound and buckets of sustain and b. whether it would wear well, but wrong again. It is finished with a smooth, hard satin coat of something very [i]very [/i]hard. With CB it was essentially my main bass so has had a very busy summer, and there are no significant signs of wear at all, as you can see in the pics. I'm sure the Elixirs have something to do with this too, as well as improving tone/playability.

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1363943850' post='2019775']
i reckon it would sound amazing with flats on too (I'm not the biggest fan of flats but with the right bass they can be perfect!)
[/quote]

I had quite a long noodle on Steve Lawson's gorgeous Modulus 6 string at the LBGS, which has some 4-5 year old flats on it. Not sure it was my thing, but certainly [i]very [/i]playable!

Edited by MoJoKe

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1365563542' post='2041152']
was fortunate enough to have a noodle on this at the LBGS really is a beautiful bass if i had the money i'd have this in a heartbeat

good luck with your sale
[/quote]

Thank you!

Here are some sound samples.

A couple of roughish demos:-

[url="http://soundcloud.com/kevin-fairburn/babooshka"]Babooshka[/url]
[url="http://soundcloud.com/kevin-fairburn/real-me"]The real me[/url]

Some recorded sounds (nothing to be proud of but you'll get an idea of the sound. I am having real problems with trapped nerves in my elbows/wrists at the moment which make for painful playing... ). This was recorded in Logic with no plugins and flat EQ:-

[url="http://soundcloud.com/kevin-fairburn/a-rough-bit-of-bass-playing"]Sound samples[/url]

Edited by MoJoKe

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='smileegee' timestamp='1367440523' post='2065784']
Hi what strings do you have on this bass?
[/quote]

Elixir.... of Course! They are:-[list]
[*]1 X Elixir Custom Shop Nanoweb Electric Bass Singles (Low B .130 taper wound)
[*]1 X Elixir Nanoweb 4-String Bass Guitar Strings - XL Scale 45-105
[/list]

Edited by MoJoKe